This Week on NASAexplores

  • From: Educational CyberPlayGround <admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: K12NewsLetters@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 10:58:13 -0500

Educational CyberPlayGround Community

K12 Newsletters Mailing List
- Subscribe - Unsubscribe - Set Preferences

Advertise on K12 Mailing List

All Mailing Lists

ActiveServers, Inc ServerFarm, Co-Location, Point to Point Wireless,
Consulting, and Windows dotnet Servers. Premium Hosting Solutions
on multiple OC-48 redundant connections.

Subject: This Week on NASAexplores
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 16:06:22 -0600

You might think that NASA and dinosaurs have nothing in common. However,
that is not entirely true. In "No Bones About It," NASA uses space-age
technology to shine a bright light into the dark, distant past. If you are
looking for a great program to involve your students, check out the ISS
EarthKAM article, "Your View From Above." We posted this article two months
ago, but we have brought it back to highlight their current registration
period. Below are abstracts of the articles, as well as brief descriptions
of the accompanying lessons for each grade level.

To access the articles and lessons, please visit the NASAexplores web site.

If you no longer wish to receive these bulletins, please visit our
subscription page and unsubscribe.

Topic 1: No Bones About It

As NASA charts a bold new course into the future, the space agency is
briefly taking a step back in time to examine a dinosaur skull. NASA
scientists are using equipment at the Marshall Space Flight Center in
Huntsville, Ala., to scan the skull of a Tyrannosaurus rex.

Lesson 1 - How Did I Get My Name?: To learn how characteristics of a
dinosaur are incorporated into its name.

Lesson 2 - Get the Message: To decode symbols.

Lesson 1 - Digging for Dinosaur Facts on the Web: To research dinosaur facts
on the Internet.

Lesson 2 - Imagery Activity: To investigate how digital images are created,
sent, and received.

Lesson 1 - Bones of a Different Length: To measure the lengths of bones to
determine a person's height.

Lesson 2 - Resolving Your Ultrasound: To explore how resolution levels for
images can change the diagnosis.

Topic 2: Your View From Above

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to look down on the Earth from
orbit?  Some students have been able to take pictures of the planet from the
International Space Station thanks to the ISS EarthKAM program.

Lesson 1 - EarthKAM Land Forms: To use EarthKAM images to learn about land

Lesson 2 - Take a Second Look: To view objects from a unique perspective.

Lesson 1 - Pinpointing With Latitude and Longitude: To better understand
latitude and longitude, and to pinpoint locations using latitude and longitude.

Lesson 2 - EarthKAM BINGO: To introduce students to different views of
Earth, and to interpret EarthKAM images during a game of BINGO.

Lesson 1 - Change in Perspective: To view various objects from different

Lesson 2 - The World in Your Hand: To construct a globe the size of a tennis

Net Happenings, K12 Newsletters, Network Newsletters

Educational CyberPlayGround Services