TEACHER> Teacher Magazine Update, March 2004

  • From: Gleason Sackmann <gleason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: K12Newsletters <k12newsletters@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 09:00:00 -0600

K12NewsLetters - From Educational CyberPlayGround
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/

From: Teacher Magazine on the Web <EducationWeek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: gleason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Teacher Magazine Update, March 2004
Date: Fri,  5 Mar 2004 00:45:48 -0500 (EST)

Welcome to the March 2004 TEACHER MAGAZINE UPDATE, brought to you by TEACHER
MAGAZINE on the Web:
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a98688a136637175a26

March 2004

In This Issue:

* Classroom Currents
* TalkBack
* Newsbytes
* Periodical Room
* Education Issues A-Z

(NOTE: The links in this newsletter will expire on April 4, 2004.)

                  CLASSROOM CURRENTS

The March/April issue of Teacher Magazine is currently online:
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a98688a136637175a26

(stories require free registration)

Grace Under Pressure
Her "Teenage Liberation Handbook" encouraged kids to leave school. Thirteen
years later, Grace Llewellyn is helping them stay.
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a98688a136637175a9

Lost in Translation
A new math curriculum has boosted test scores in several states. So why haven't

some New York City parents signed on?
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a98688a136637175a6

Play School
A games-centered after-school program in North Carolina gives needy kids a
confidence boost.
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a98688a136637175a14

A Special Case
The No Child Left Behind Act requires students with disabilities to meet the
same standards as their peers. Many teachers wonder if that's really possible.
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a98688a136637175a13

Size Matters
While many press for smaller schools, educators in Illinois say they have a new

mega facility that's doing just fine, thank you.
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a98688a136637175a15

Pension Tension
Retire/rehire laws have lured thousands of experienced teachers back to school,

but at a price.
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a98688a136637175a7

Opinion: Take it Outside
Dismayed at students' lack of physical activity, an elementary school teacher
trades classroom time for daily walks.
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a98688a136637175a8

Opinion: Double or Nothing
Reducing dropout numbers will require overhauling the traditional American high

school, says Ronald A. Wolk.
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a98688a136637175a10

                   TALKBACK

Secretary Paige's 'Terrorist' Remark

In a comment made during a private meeting with a group of governors at the
White House on Feb. 23, U.S. Secretary of Education Rod Paige likened the
National Education Association to a terrorist organization because of its
efforts to resist key provisions in the federal No Child Left Behind Act.

Some say Mr. Paige's remark warrants his resignation. Others contend that,
while
an unfortunate choice of words, it shouldn't detract from his larger message.

What's your view? Join our growing readers' discussion:
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a98688a136637175a12

                    NEWSBYTES

Get the latest education news from around the country in THE DAILY NEWS.
Updated
daily by 12:00 p.m., EST.
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a98688a136637175a25

New Rules Would Allow More Single-Sex Schools
 >From USA Today: March 4.
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a98688a136637175a2

Teachers Told to Train for Test-Giving
 >From The Detroit News: March 3.
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a98688a136637175a16

College Prep Classes Challenge Teachers, Too
 >From The Washington Post: March 3.
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a98688a136637175a5

Catholic School Seeks Miracle, But a Pile of Box Tops Will Do
 >From The New York Times (requires free registration): March 3.
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a98688a136637175a17

Education Chief Again Apologizes for 'Terrorist' Remark
 >From The New York Times (requires free registration): March 2.
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a98688a136637175a19

Columbine Enigmas
 >From Rocky Mountain News: February 29
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a98688a136637175a1

Also, see our weekly collection of INTERNATIONAL education stories, updated
every Wednesday:
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a98688a136637175a21

                   PERIODICAL ROOM

Highlights from other Web sites:

(Note: Inclusion does not constitute endorsement of views by Teacher Magazine)

Diary: Mr. Moore
 >From Slate, Feb. 23-27, 2004.
In a weak-long online diary, Tom Moore, a sixth grade teacher in the South
Bronx, captures the turbulent and occassionally bizarre world of an inner-city
educator. But his account is also a celebration of his chosen profession: "When

a class is going right, you can feel it?and it's the best feeling in the
world,"
he writes. "Your breathing changes; you feel tension sheeting off your body
like
water."
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a98688a136637175a22

Beating the Bubble Test
 >From Time Magazine, Feb. 23, 2004.
While many states and schools across the country are struggling to meet the
strict standards of No Child Left Behind, one elementary school in Iowa has
made
surprising strides. How'd they do it? By sacrificing writing, social studies,
and field trips. Though the results are positive, many teachers question the
trade-off.
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a98688a136637175a4

Spotlight on Teacher Quality
 >From the Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development, March 2 & 4,

2004.
This online policy briefing "offers a collection of resources for helping
educators understand the changing face of the teaching profession" in light of
standards-based reform. Includes background materials, professional development

strategies, and articles and reports.
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a98688a136637175a0

Words on Paper
 >From the American School Board Journal, March 2004.
Recent indicators "depict nothing less than a writing crisis in the nation's
classrooms," Nina Hurwitz and Sol Hurwitz say in this ASBJ cover story. And
despite high-minded calls for change, they say, the problem may get worse, as
the time needed for effective writing instruction is increasingly crowded out
of
the curriculum. The authors review the latest thinking on what techniques are
most effective in the classroom--and what teachers need in order to use them.
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a98688a136637175a23

Would Shakespeare Get Into Swarthmore?
 >From the Atlantic Monthly, March 2004
A trio of officials from the Princeton Review describes the ins-and-outs of the

new SAT writing section (which, incidentally, they say will require the College

Board to hire thousands of high school teachers to grade). The test won't
exactly be a refuge for creativity or flair. Instead, the authors say, "the
highest-scoring essays will be earnest, long-winded, and predictable." To
illustrate, they evaluate how the essay responses of some well-known writers
would fare. Includes a contest in which you can try to help Shakespeare get a
higher score.
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a98688a136637175a20

The Homework Delusion
 >From The Weekly Standard, March 2004
A writer takes issue with the widespread notion that kids today are given too
much homework: "Beyond the headlines and behind the expert quotes, ... one
discovers a story of political agendas, manipulated data, and a credulous
public
that wants to believe children are working oh-so-hard, even when they're barely

breaking a sweat."
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a98688a136637175a3

                  EDUCATION ISSUES A-Z

Our our issues pages provide authoritative background essays on key topics in
education, plus extensive archive links and Web resources.

Private Schooling
On the surface, private schools seem better equipped to produce higher student
performance than public schools--but the evidence is not foolproof.
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a98688a136637175a11

English-Language Learners
The burgeoning numbers of students limited proficiency in English pose unique
challenges for educators.
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a98688a136637175a18

 >From TEACHER MAGAZINE on the WEB. This update is provided as a monthly
service
of Editorial Projects in Education, the Washington, D.C.-based publisher of
EDUCATION WEEK newspaper and TEACHER MAGAZINE.
Copyright (c) 2004 Editorial Projects in Education.

<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>
EDUCATIONAL CYBERPLAYGROUND
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com

VENDORS REACH THE EDUCATION MARKET
FREE EDUCATION VENDOR DIRECTORY LISTING
Find PREMIUM & FEATURED MERCHANT LISTING ALSO
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Directory/default.asp

HOT LIST OF SCHOOLS ONLINE
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Schools/default.asp

SERVICES
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/PS/Home_Products.html

Net Happenings,K12 Newsletters, Network Newsletters
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Community/index.html