TEACHER> Teacher Magazine Update, January 2004

  • From: Gleason Sackmann <gleason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: K12Newsletters <k12newsletters@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 08:30:00 -0600

K12NewsLetters - From Educational CyberPlayGround
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/

From: Teacher Magazine on the Web <EducationWeek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: gleason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Teacher Magazine Update, January 2004
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 01:00:32 -0500 (EST)

Welcome to the January 2004 TEACHER MAGAZINE UPDATE, brought to you by TEACHER
MAGAZINE on the Web:
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a94265a136637175a31

January 2004

In This Issue:

* Classroom Currents
* New Career Site from Teacher Magazine and Education Week
* TalkBack
* Newsbytes
* Education Issues A-Z
* Periodical Room
* Reading List

(NOTE: The links in this newsletter will expire on Feb. 21, 2004.)

"A+. . . A MUST-SEE FOR SOCIAL STUDIES TEACHERS"

 >From global warming to gun control, Justice Learning helps you give
students the skills they need to understand today's complex issues.
A free series from NPR's Justice Talking & The New York Times Learning
Network, Justice Learning connects civics to your students' daily lives.

www.justicelearning.org

                CLASSROOM CURRENTS

As TEACHER MAGAZINE prepares its March/April 2004 issue, why not flip back
though some of the highlights from our publishing year to date? Read stories
you
may have missed, or re-read those features you particularly enjoyed first time
around.

Issue 1: September 2003
String Theory: "Man of Constant Sorrow," "Will the Circle Be Unbroken," and
"Muleskinner Blues" were just some of the traditional bluegrass songs being
mastered by students at the 2003 Festival of the Bluegrass in Lexington,
Kentucky. Kentucky-native Lonnie Harp writes that the four-day outdoor music
festival attracted students of all ages from a variety of states, and awarded
the younger generation the chance of learning to play bluegrass the traditional

way--one riff at a time, from seasoned musicians. With musical workshops also
provided for educators, the festival's aim to spread the mountain-inspired
music
into more schools' music programs was boosted, and a vital link with America's
musical history preserved.
Read more:
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a94265a136637175a9

Issue 2: October 2003
Old School: In the late 1800s and early 1900s, long before guidance counselors
and standardized testing helped mold students' futures, career advice was hard
to come by. But prospective teachers paging through "Starting in Life," a
turn-of-the-century book detailing 50 career choices ranging from physician to
inventor, would learn much of what "this noble profession has to offer to young

men" (and women, too, though the book is less forthcoming with advice for
them).
A century later, many of author Nathaniel C. Fowler Jr.'s observations remain
familiar, at times uncannily so.
Read more:
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a94265a136637175a18

Issue 3: November 2003
Commentary--Buy the Book: "I once told a sophomore I would pay him $5 to read
'Ironman.' This was a book that I thought could change him forever, or at least

open his eyes. He told me his mother would give him $10 for doing nothing."
High
school librarian Thomas Washington is on a mission that would make even
Sisyphus
shirk: Getting students to read for fun. Washington tries his best to encourage

students to read, not just because they have to, but because it's good for
them.
However, he concedes that "If the simple act of leisure reading is supposed to
figure into our overall success in educating young minds, then I need a new
game
plan."
Read more:
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a94265a136637175a15

Issue 4: January 2004
A Man of Letters: In 1990, newly minted teacher Daniel Robb wanted to be one of

those teachers who was so clear in his own use of language that his kids
couldn't help but learn to write, to burn with a passion to write, once he was
through with them. However, knowing what sort of writing he liked when reading
it, and putting into words for his students what makes it good was a task
altogether more difficult. In this engaging feature, author, writer, and now
former teacher Robb recounts his first days as a teacher in a classroom without

walls, teaching writing, by correspondence, to America.
Read more:
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a94265a136637175a19

Web Chat: Teen Drug Use
TEACHER MAGAZINE recently hosted a Web chat with Meredith Maran, author of
"Dirty: A Search for Answers Inside America's Teenage Drug Epidemic." The
complete chat transcript is available, as well as an interview Maran gave
earlier to TEACHER MAGAZINE about the book and her experience as a parent and
journalist with teens who use drugs.
Read the transcript of the Web Chat:
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a94265a136637175a13
Read the interview:
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a94265a136637175a10

                 JUST LAUNCHED
         New Career Site from Education Week

Now Live!  Education Week's online career site for teachers and administrators,

AGENT K-12.  Because job hunting should not be a game of chance.

Increase your odds of finding the perfect teaching or administrative position
with AGENT K-12.  It's the K-12 career site with the greatest variety of search

tools, backed by the publishers of Education Week and Teacher Magazine.

For the very best teaching and administrative jobs, and the easiest way to find

them, go to--

www.agentk-12.org

                   FORTHCOMING

The March/April issue of TEACHER MAGAZINE will be online on February 29, 2004.
Featured stories: a look inside an unconventional summer camp for
unconventional
students--home- and un-schooled children; the effect of curriculum changes in
New York City; walking the corridors of the 4,000-capacity Unity Junior High
School, Ilinois; and how one Massachusetts teacher reacts to the dearth of
physical education programs in his school.

                       TALKBACK

Race and American Education

Our readers' discussion forum currently looks at how half a century after the
U.S. Supreme Court's historic decision in Brown v. Board of Education, race
continues to loom large in American education. Join the discussion:
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a94265a136637175a17

Also:
Quality Counts '04: Special Education in an Era of Standards
Should special education students be held accountable to the same academic
standards as other students? Tell us what you think:
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a94265a136637175a16

                     NEWSBYTES

Get the latest education news from around the country in THE DAILY NEWS.
Updated
daily by 12:00 p.m., EST.
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a94265a136637175a29

In Fighting Stereotypes, Students Lift Test Scores
 >From The New York Times (requires free registration): January 20.
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a94265a136637175a3

Plea for Peace in Schools
 >From the Philadelphia Daily News: January 20.
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a94265a136637175a25

Schools or Pencils: A Fund Disconnect
 >From the Los Angeles Times (requires free registration): January 19.
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a94265a136637175a1

School Administrators See How Surprise Visits to Classrooms Can Improve
Teaching, Learning
 >From the St. Louis Post-Dispatch: January 15.
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a94265a136637175a0

Panel Seeks Higher Pay for Teachers
 >From the Atlanta Journal-Constitution: January 15.
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a94265a136637175a2

Demand to Prove Skills Enrages Veteran Teachers
 >From The Detroit News: January 12.
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a94265a136637175a20

Ohio Looks for the Key to Perfect Teachers
 >From The (Cleveland) Plain Dealer: January 11.
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a94265a136637175a4

                  EDUCATION ISSUES A-Z

Our Issues A-Z section provides brief, research-based background essays on key
topics in education today. Each page includes Web resources and archived
stories.
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a94265a136637175a28

Desegregation
Some educators and desegregation experts are questioning the fundamental
holdings of Brown v. Board of Education, arguing that other factors are now
more
important than racial balance. A look at the debate.
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a94265a136637175a22

Professional Development
Effective professional development is seen as increasingly vital to school
success and teacher satisfaction. But what's effective?
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a94265a136637175a21

Looking for the right education product or service vendor?

Begin your search today at Education Week's NEW K-12 Buyer's
Guide. We help you locate and research vendors,and provide
interactive tools to make requesting information easy and
efficient.

http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a94265a136637175a32

Vendors: make sure your company is listed in the K-12 Buyer's Guide.
Submit your FREE basic listing today, or upgrade your listing
for added exposure and increased advantage!

http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a94265a136637175a6

                   PERIODICAL ROOM

Reports and articles from around the Web.
(Note: Inclusion does not constitute endorsement by TEACHER MAGAZINE.)

Quality Counts 2004: Count Me In: Special Education in an Era of Standards
 >From EDUCATION WEEK, Jan. 7, 2004.
States are struggling to meet federal requirements on academic proficiency for
students with disabilities, according to EDUCATION WEEK's eighth annual report
on the condition of public education. According to a national survey
commissioned by EDUCATION WEEK for the report, teachers are also struggling to
meet the demands of the new requirements. Of 800 special and general education
teachers surveyed, more than eight in 10 believed that most special education
students should be expected to meet a separate set of academic standards. Also
included in the report: updated state report cards and exclusive data on state
education policies.
Read the report:
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a94265a136637175a30
Read results of the teacher survey:
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a94265a136637175a8

Brown at 50: The Promise Unfulfilled
 >From EDUCATION WEEK, January-May 2004.
Fifty years after the U.S. Supreme Court's decision in Brown v. Board of
Education of Topeka, which struck down the doctrine of "separate but equal" in
public education, this special five-part series takes stock of the role of race

in education, looking at key issues, developments, and localities. The series
will run from January through May 2004.  The first installment, featured in the

Jan. 21, 2004 issue of EDUCATON WEEK, includes:
In U.S. Schools, Race Still Counts
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a94265a136637175a23
Or, visit the series page:
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a94265a136637175a5

National and State Writing Tests: The Writing Process Betrayed
 >From Phi Delta Kappan, January 2004.
State and national writing tests do not promote all the steps taught in
writing,
which include planning, drafting, revising, and editing, according to educator
and author Edgar H. Schuster. Can students truly produce good writing if all
these steps of the writing process, with the exception of planning, are omitted

on timed tests?
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a94265a136637175a27

Thinking Lessons
 >From the Harvard Graduate School of Education, January 1, 2004.
Can computer games help children become better learners? Researchers are trying

to find out, examining the cognitive benefits of the engaging nature of
computer
games.
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a94265a136637175a11

Life Science--But Snot as We Know It
 >From BBC News, January 16, 2004.
Some of England's most gifted children have taken science to a whole new level
in examining the most "disgusting" things possible. In sifting through snot and

vomit, they learn about the human body and its systems.
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a94265a136637175a24

                 READING LIST

AN ETHIC OF EXCELLENCE: Building a Culture of Craftsmanship with Students
by Ron Berger (Heinemann, 156, $17.50).
In what TEACHER MAGAZINE's reviewer David Ruenzel calls a "compelling" book,
veteran elementary school teacher Ron Berger finds many problems with academic
success being so stringently tied to standardized tests and test scores. Berger

concludes that success in the real world is much more ambiguous.

Berger favors a project-based approach to learning rather than a
pencil-and-paper one, and argues that students learn more by fully engaging in
the work at hand.  Berger wants his students to learn basic skills, but only in

the context of projects that are actually taking shape, which he notes is the
opposite of how most schools, caught up in the cycle of endless testing, think
of basic skills.

Read the complete review in TEACHER MAGAZINE:
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a94265a136637175a14

***

JUDGING SCHOOL DISCIPLINE: The Crisis of Moral Authority
by Richard Arum (Harvard University Press, 79 Garden St., Cambridge, MA 02138;
336 pp., $39.95 hardback).
A New York University professor of sociology and education argues that the
moral
authority of teachers and principals has been waning for four decades. He
investigates the history of this trend, examining 1,200 individual cases in
which a school's right to control students was contested, and explores the
phenomenon's negative consequences for American education. Additional analysis
is included on court leanings, disciplinary practices, and student outcomes.
The
author's chief argument is that a fear of lawsuits keeps teachers and
administrators from managing discipline in ways that the public would support.

More information is available from the publisher:
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a94265a136637175a26

***

THE ALMANAC OF AMERICAN EDUCATION, 2004
ed. by Deirdre A. Gaquin and Katherine A. Debrandt (Bernan Press, 4611-F
Assembly Drive, Lanham, MD 20706; 353 pp., $49 paperback).
This guidebook helps users understand and compare the quality of education at
the national, state, and county levels nationwide. It contains historical and
current data, analysis, and graphs compiled from official U.S. government and
reliable private sources. The volume is divided into four parts: national
school
enrollment and educational attainment statistics; state education statistics;
county education statistics; and a guide to education resources on the
Internet.
The text is designed for use by public libraries, students, educators,
administrators, academics, education schools, government departments of
education, and educational trade associations and nonprofit organizations.

More information is available from the publisher:
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a94265a136637175a7

***

TEACHING THE RESTLESS: One School's Remarkable No-Ritalin Approach to Helping
Children Learn and Succeed
by Chris Mercogliano (Beacon Press, 256 pages, $25 hardback).
Mercogliano, who is co-director of the privately funded Albany Free School in
New York, closely observed nine of the school's 50 2- to 14-year-old students
for a year to document the school's drug- and label-free approach to educating
"problem" kids. The problem, he makes clear, is not with the students but with
"school environments that fail to support their unique needs and natures."

Read an excerpt in TEACHER MAGAZINE:
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a94265a136637175a12

 >From TEACHER MAGAZINE on the WEB. This update is provided as a monthly
service
of Editorial Projects in Education, the Washington, D.C.-based publisher of
EDUCATION WEEK newspaper and TEACHER MAGAZINE.
Copyright (c) 2004 Editorial Projects in Education.

<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>
EDUCATIONAL CYBERPLAYGROUND
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com

VENDORS REACH THE EDUCATION MARKET
FREE EDUCATION VENDOR DIRECTORY LISTING
Find PREMIUM & FEATURED MERCHANT LISTING ALSO
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Directory/default.asp

HOT LIST OF SCHOOLS ONLINE
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Schools/default.asp

SERVICES
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/PS/Home_Products.html

Net Happenings,K12 Newsletters, Network Newsletters
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Community/index.html