SPACE> Today on SPACE.com -- Monday, April 14, 2003

  • From: Gleason Sackmann <gleason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: K12Newsletters <k12newsletters@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 09:26:00 -0500

K12NewsLetters - From Educational CyberPlayGround
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/

To: SPACECOM-TEXTY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: spaceupdate@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 12:51:08 -0000
Subject: Today on SPACE.com -- Monday, April 14, 2003

Today on SPACE.com -- Monday, April 14, 2003 -- http://www.space.com/

In today's issue:

/-------------------------------------

Interstellar Flight
Be part of a real mission to the stars!  Include your photo, message and DNA on

board Humanity's First Starship.
Makes a great gift! http://www.space.com/teamencounter/

-------------------------------------/

* Featured Space Store Product: NASA Rocket Scientist T-Shirt

Spaceflight:
* Report: Wing Was Issue on Earlier Shuttle
* NASA Selects Mars Rover Landing Sites
* Special Report: More Sensor Choices Increases Number of Products in Market
* AsiaSat 4 Lofted into Orbit by Perfect Atlas 3B Rocket
* Next Shuttle Astronauts Search for Debris

Science/Astronony:
* Extreme Space: Hottest Stars Fuel Stunning Scenes
* Astronotes: The Mailbag: How Can We See the Milky Way? We're In It!
* Project Phoenix: SETI Prepares to Observe at Arecibo
* New Image Gallery: Curious Clouds
* SPACE.com Screenthemes Are Here!

Recent Headlines:
* Help Wanted: Troubled Space Industry Seeks Best and Brightest
* Upper Level Winds Force Atlas 3B Launch Scrub at Cape
* NASA's O'Keefe: 'Better Days Ahead'
* Congress Mulls NASA Budget
* Sign of Spring: First Full Moon of Season, Paschal, Marks Passover
* Mystery Rocks Spotted Near Moon of Jupiter

Plus...

* SpaceTV, SpaceWatch
* Solar and Space Weather
* Starry Night, TeamSETI

-----------------------------------
* Featured Space Store Product

NASA Rocket Scientist T-Shirt
http://www.space.com/spaceagegear/

Why, yes, I AM a Rocket Scientist! This great NASA "athletic style" t-shirt
features a weathered NASA logo and the Rocket Scientist title. It is 90%
preshrunk cotton/10% polyester.

-----------------------------------
Spaceflight:
* Report: Wing Was Issue on Earlier Shuttle
http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/sts107_discovery_030414.html

Almost two years before the Columbia disaster, NASA inspectors discovered
serious weakening of another shuttle's protective left-wing panel and ordered a

fleetwide inspection out of fear the problem would infect other shuttles,
internal space agency documents show.

* NASA Selects Mars Rover Landing Sites
http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/mer_landsites_030411.html

In the Mars Exploration Rover (MER) landing site sweepstakes, the winners are:
Meridiani Planum and Gusev crater.

* Special Report: More Sensor Choices Increases Number of Products in Market
http://www.space.com/spacenews/spacenews_businessmonday_030414.html

Commercial imaging technology continues to attract companies hoping to find
profits in the sale of value-added applications.

* AsiaSat 4 Lofted into Orbit by Perfect Atlas 3B Rocket
http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/atlas3_launch_030411.html

An Atlas 3B rocket on Friday lifted a new satellite into Earth orbit that is to

provide direct broadcast and other communications services to the planet's Asia

Pacific region.

* Next Shuttle Astronauts Search for Debris
http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/sts107_collins_030411.html

Astronaut Eileen Collins will always have a special bond with space shuttle
Columbia. In 1999, it gave her the opportunity to become the first woman ever
command a shuttle flight.

-----------------------------------
Science/Astronomy:
* Extreme Space: Hottest Stars Fuel Stunning Scenes
http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/hot_stars_030414.html

New observations of striking clouds of gas and dust reveal the engine behind
the
beauty, some of the hottest and most massive stars ever detected.

* Astronotes: The Mailbag: How Can We See the Milky Way? We're In It!
http://www.space.com/astronotes/astronotes.html

A Question from a SPACE.com Reader:  I was just wondering how the full sky
survey data could be turned into a picture of the Milky Way as shown in one of
the pics posted [2mass story & gallery]? I thought we could not get such a
picture of the Milky Way since we were embedded in it.

* Project Phoenix: SETI Prepares to Observe at Arecibo
http://www.space.com/searchforlife/seti_arecibo_prep_030414.html

It's a quiet Sunday morning at Arecibo. As I sit by a window in the cafeteria
enjoying my first cup of café con leche, I look out at a small tropical garden
with showy red flowers. Beneath one of the flowers a small lizard hunts. He is
motionless, his cold reptile eyes fixed on his prey.

* New Image Gallery: Curious Clouds
http://www.space.com/php/multimedia/imagegallery/archive.php?category=pe

At the boundary between Earth and space, strange things happen.

* SPACE.com Screenthemes Are Here!
http://www.screenthemes.com/space/

Transform your computer desktop into the ultimate Space-themed screensaver and
wallpaper experience with ScreenThemes.

------------------------------------
Recent Headlines:
* Help Wanted: Troubled Space Industry Seeks Best and Brightest
http://www.space.com/news/nss_aerospace_030410.html

* Upper Level Winds Force Atlas 3B Launch Scrub at Cape
http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/launches/next_launch.html

* NASA's O'Keefe: 'Better Days Ahead'
http://www.space.com/news/nss_okeefe_030410.html

* Congress Mulls NASA Budget
http://www.space.com/news/budget_nasa_030410.html

* Sign of Spring: First Full Moon of Season, Paschal, Marks Passover
http://www.space.com/spacewatch/paschal_moon_030411.html

* Mystery Rocks Spotted Near Moon of Jupiter
http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/galileo_rocks_030410.html

-----------------------------------
* SpaceTV:
http://www.space.com/php/multimedia/spacetv/

* SpaceWatch:
http://www.space.com/spacewatch/

* Uplink: Share your opinion!
http://uplink.space.com/

-------------------------------------
SOLAR and SPACE WEATHER (April 14, 2003)

3-Day Solar Forecast
Solar activity is expected to be very low to low.

3-Day Aurora Forecast
Earth's geomagnetic field is expected to be generally unsettled for the next
three days, with a chance for some isolated active periods. A coronal hole will

be rotating to a favorable position sometime between 15 and 17 April and is
expected to produce an increase in geomagnetic activity levels.

Solar Data
The current sunspot number is 61, and the solar wind speed recently clocked in
at 509 kilometers per second.

The solar wind density was 3.2 protons per cubic centimeter.

(Speed and density values are snapshots in time and change during the day.)

http://www.space.com/spacewatch/space_weather.html

-------------------------------------
Sign up to become part of the greatest search in history! Join TeamSETI:
http://www.space.com/searchforlife/seti_science_page.html

Be a desktop astronomer! Starry Night is the world's leading astronomy software

-- choose between Beginner, Backyard, or Pro!

http://www.starrynight.com/space

-------------------------------------
Feedback
We welcome your comments and suggestions at thoughts@xxxxxxxxx

Share Your Space
Forward this newsletter to your friends!

Educational CyberPlayGround
A learning site that celebrates diversity in students' background
while highlighting the variety in students' preferred approaches
to learning. The site provides opportunities for parents, teachers,
and librarians, even with limited online experience, to learn how
to use the World Wide Web to provide more effective teaching.
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/

<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>
EDUCATIONAL CYBERPLAYGROUND
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com
Net Happenings,K12 Newsletters, Network Newsletters, New-list
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Community/index.html

HOT LIST OF SCHOOLS ONLINE
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Schools/default.asp

EDUCATION VENDOR DIRECTORY