SCIENCE: Space Weather News and NOVA

  • From: Educational CyberPlayGround <admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: K12NewsLetters@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 13:08:23 -0400

K12 Newsletters Mailing List Subscribe - Unsubscribe - Set Preferences

Educational CyberPlayGround Community Mailing Lists

Advertise K12 Newsletters Guidelines

Physical Fitness, Healthy Diet, Multi-tasking,
Neuroscience Brain Based Learning and  Development
Sleep, Character Development, Language Development

Space Weather News for Oct. 22, 2006

SUNSPOT 917: Sunspot 917, just a speck a few days ago, has suddenly blossomed into an active region wider than the planet Neptune. The fast-growing spot is crackling with minor solar flares. If its development continues, the sunspot could soon pose a threat for stronger explosions.

NORTHERN LIGHTS: As predicted, a solar wind stream hit Earth on Oct. 20th. The impact did not trigger a full-fledged geomagnetic storm. Nevertheless, colorful auroras appeared over Scandinavia and Iceland--and the display is still active almost two days later.

NOVA: "Magnetic Storm"

Tuesday, October 24, 2006 at 8PM ET/PT on PBS
Check your local listings as dates and times may vary.

Like the plot of a sci-fi B movie, something weird is happening deep
underground, where the constant spin of Earth's liquid metallic core
generates an invisible magnetic force field that shields our planet
from harmful radiation in space. Gradually, the field is growing
weaker. Could we be heading for a demagnetized doomsday that will
leave us defenseless against the lethal effects of solar wind and
cosmic rays? "Magnetic Storm" looks into our potentially unsettling
magnetic future.

Here's what you'll find online:

     Impact on Animals
     Would a dramatic change in the Earth's magnetic field affect
     creatures that rely on it during migration?

     When Compasses Point South
     As this time line shows, our planet's magnetic shield has
     reversed its direction hundreds of times.

     Gallery of Auroras
     Auroras like those displayed here would be visible every night of
     the year during a magnetic field reversal.

     See a Reversal
     Watch a simulated flip of the Earth's magnetic field, from the
     first signs of instability to the final reversal.

Copyright statements to be included when reproducing
annotations from K12 Newsletter

The single phrase below is the copyright notice to be used when reproducing any portion of this report, in any format:

K12 Newsletter copyright