[ECP] SCIENCE: Educational CyberPlayGround News and Resources

  • From: Educational CyberPlayGround <admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: K12NewsLetters@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 May 2007 04:00:00 -0400

Greetings,

I am so relieved to find out that the disappearing Bee Disorder can be cured.

happy reading,

<Karen>

1)
Bee Colony Collapse Disorder
Its a fungus, not cell phones causing Bee Colony Collapse Disorder
Beekeepers in 28 states, Canada and Britain have reported large
losses. About a quarter of the
estimated 2.4 million commercial colonies across the United States
have been lost since fall.
http://www.latimes.com/news/la-sci-bees26apr26,0,7437491.story?track=m
ostviewed-storylevel
A fungus that caused widespread loss of bee colonies in Europe and
Asia may be playing a crucial role in the mysterious phenomenon known
as Colony Collapse Disorder that is wiping out bees across the United
States, UC San Francisco researchers said Wednesday.
A single-celled parasite called Nosema ceranae, in affected hives
from around the country ? as well as in some hives where bees had
survived. Those researchers have also found two other fungi and half
a dozen viruses in the dead bees.
N. ceranae is "one of many pathogens" in the bees, said entomologist
Diana Cox-Foster of Pennsylvania State University. "By itself, it is
probably not the culprit ? but it may be one of the key players."
"We still haven't ruled out other factors, such as pesticides or
inadequate food resources following a drought," she said. "There are
lots of stresses that these bees are experiencing," and it may be a
combination of factors that is responsible.
Historically, bee losses are not unusual. Weather, pesticide
exposures and infestations by pests, such as the Varroa mite, have
wiped out significant numbers of colonies in the past, particularly
in the 1960s and 1970s.

Jerry writes:
This problem has been documented for at least 100
years, cell phones obviously are not the cause.  According to bee
publications in my collection, which date from the 1800's,
"Disappearing Disease" as it was called then, has existed since at
least the 1890's.
When I read the first reports and they stated that hives using a
treatment called Fumagilin-B were not affected, I immediately
suspected Nosema. Also considering that a particularly nasty strain
of Nosema was being reported to have decimated hives in Europe, I
assumed it had made its way to the America.  As soon as I read this,
I placed an order for Fumagilin-B to beat the rush which is sure to
occur.
In a recent research report, a group of researchers have taken comb
from affected hives and added them to healthy hives.  Shortly after,
they too were affected.  They then irradiated affected comb and
placed it in healthy hives and those hives did NOT experience colony
collapse disorder.  It is clearly a pathogen  The good news is that
there already appears to be an effective treatment available on the
market.
While the damage to the US bee industry is substantial and it will
take some time to recover, this isn't the end of the world.  The bee
industry will get past this major bump in the road.  Considering all
the other factors which affect beekeepers, such as Africanized
Honeybees, Varroa mites, American foul brood, etc., it's amazing the
large apiaries are still in business.
If your readers would like to stay abreast of the issue they can
visit the following site for updates.
Check the MAAREC website http://maarec.cas.psu.edu for updates on
this issue.

2)
Second Annual TeraGrid conference ...
funded by the National Science Foundation.
http://www.teragrid.org/

3)
NOVA: "Newton's Dark Secrets"
http://www.pbs.org/nova/newton
Tuesday, May 1, 2007 at 8 p.m.
He was the greatest scientist of his day, perhaps of all time. But
while Isaac Newton was busy discovering the universal law of
gravitation, he was also searching out hidden meanings in the Bible
and pursuing the covert art of alchemy. In this program, NOVA
explores the strange and complex mind of Isaac Newton. Using
docudrama scenes starring Scott Handy (Masterpiece Theatre's Henry
VIII) as Newton, we recreate the unique climate of late 17th-century
England, where a newfound fascination with science and mathematics
coexisted with extreme views on religious doctrine. Newton shared
both obsessions.
 A Complicated Man
     If there's one word to describe Isaac Newton it is "genius," as
     this interview with historian Jed Buchwald makes clear.
     http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/newton/buchwald.html
Birth of a Masterpiece
     Edmond Halley visited Newton with a simple question and came away
     with the seeds of a masterwork, the Principia.
     http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/newton/principia.html
Einstein on Newton
     In 1927, 200 years after Newton's death, Albert Einstein wrote a
     glowing appreciation.
     http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/newton/einstein.html
Interactive & Overview
Newton's Alchemy
     He kept it hidden, but was it truly scandalous? Find out in this
     interview and interactive manuscript.
     http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/newton/alchemy.html
His Legacy
     Gravity. Laws of motion. Reflecting telescope. Calculus. The list
     goes on...
     http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/newton/legacy.html

Also, a downloadable audio story on Newton's Alchemy, Links & Books,
the program transcript, the Teacher's Guide, and more:
http://www.pbs.org/nova/newton

May 8  -- Pocahontas Revealed
           http://www.pbs.org/nova/pocahontas

-- First Nation Resources
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/IEC/iecFirstNation.html

May 15 -- Hitler's Sunken Secret (R)
           http://www.pbs.org/nova/hydro

May 22 -- The Great Robot Race (R)
           http://www.pbs.org/nova/darpa

-- Eniac The First Computer
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Teachers/eniac.html

-- History of the Internet
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Internet/history_internet.html

4)
Noxious Lightening
NASA Science News for April 27, 2007
http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2007/27apr_nox.htm?list111411
Lightning is more than just heat and light: it's a chemical factory
that produces a natural pollutant called "NOx" that may affect both
local air quality and global climate. NASA scientists are developing
new ways to monitor lightning NOx from Earth orbit.

5)
Hilton Pond -- Cowbirds
http://www.hiltonpond.org
The virtues of the Brown-headed Cowbird are always up for debate among
North American birders, but one has to admire a native species that is
successful--even at the expense of other native species. For some
historical perspective on this promiscuous "social parasite," visit
our "This Week at Hilton Pond" photo essay for 10-21 April 2007 at
<<http://www.hiltonpond.org/ThisWeek070410.html>>
We provide, as always, our banding results for the period, with info
about two VERY old individuals we recaptured. There's also a follow-up
photo on the impact of our big Easter freeze, plus other miscellaneous
nature notes--including info about our first banded hummingbird of the
season.

7)
Space Weather News for April 25, 2007
http://spaceweather.com
NIGHT-SHINING CLOUDS:  NASA's AIM spacecraft left Earth Wednesday on a
two-year mission to study mysterious noctilucent (night-shining)
clouds. Hovering at the edge of space, these clouds were first noticed
in the 19th century; they are remarkable for their electric-blue color
and sharp, wavy ripples. In recent years noctilucent clouds have been
growing brighter and spreading. What causes them? Theories range from
space dust to global warming. For the next two years, AIM will
scrutinize the clouds from Earth orbit to learn what they may be
telling us about our planet.
SOLAR ACTIVITY:  After a month of uninterrupted quiet, solar activity
may be on the rise.  A new sunspot is emerging and it appears to be a
big one. The spot's potential for flares will become clear as the
region turns toward Earth in the days ahead.

8)
NASA Science News for April 24, 2007 A Massive Explosion on the Sun
http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2007/24apr_hubble4sun.htm?list111411
Last December, Japan's Hinode spacecraft observed a massive explosion
on the sun. Researchers analyzing the data have produced a must-see
movie of the flare's magnetic underpinnings.

9)

<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>
The Educational CyberPlayGround
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/

National Children's Folksong Repository
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/NCFR/

Net Happenings, K12 Newsletters, Network Newsletters
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Community/

7 Hot Site Awards
New York Times, USA Today , MSNBC, Earthlink,
USA Today Best Bets For Educators, Macworld Top Fifty