• From: Educational CyberPlayGround <admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: K12NewsLetters@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 05:00:00 -0500

Please link to the Educational CyberPlayGround

Please Share and Add Your Song

Educational CyberPlayGround K12 Newsletters Mailing List ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤,¸¸,ø¤º

HILTON POND (Amur Honeysuckle)
Date:    Nov 19, 2006 5:08 PM
We're always finding something new at Hilton Pond Center for
Piedmont Natural History, and this week was no exception. With a
little help from a furry friend, we came across a shrub with bright
red berries we'd never seen before. We eventually figured out it
was Amur Honeysuckle, a terrific attractant for birds but an
invasive plant.
For a photo essay on this non-native shrub and how we identified
it, please visit "This Week at Hilton Pond' for 8-14 November 2006
at http://www.hiltonpond.org/ThisWeek061108.html
As always we include a tally of birds banded and recaptured during
the period, plus a nature note and bonus photo of a stately Great
Blue Heron.

NOVA scienceNOW
Tuesday, November 21 at 8PM ET/PT on PBS

     Mass Extinction
     What caused the mother of all extinctions 250 million years ago?

     1918 Flu
     A virus that killed up to 50 million people is brought back to
     life to decipher its deadliness.

     Profile: Cynthia Breazeal
     A daring engineer designs robots to communicate and interact
     the way people do.

     Scraps of writings from a garbage dump in ancient Egypt reveal
     what life was like 2,000 years ago.

The journey continues on the NOVA scienceNOW Web site. Watch the
entire hour-long episode. E-mail scientists from the broadcast with
your questions. Examine the culprits of the Permian extinction,
cast your vote for or against the 1918 flu revival, hear Cynthia
Breazeal talk about her friendly robots, read ancient papyri, and
much more.

NASA Science News for November 17, 2006
The X-ray Transit of Mercury
Using a high-resolution X-ray telescope, Japan's new Hinode spacecraft
captured some unique and beautiful images of last week's Transit of Mercury.

NASA Science News for November 16, 2006
Horseshoe Crabs Give Blood for Space Travel
Soon, astronauts onboard the ISS will test a high-tech medical device
that uses primitive enzymes from horseshoe crabs to diagnose human illness.

Space Weather News for Nov. 17, 2006 Weekend Meteors
Every year in mid-November, Earth glides through a veritable minefield
of comet dust clouds. The source of the debris is Comet
55P/Tempel-Tuttle. This weekend Earth will graze one of those clouds,
producing a mild outburst of Leonid meteors.
If forecasters are correct, the outburst will peak around 0445 UT on
Sunday, Nov. 19th (11:45 p.m. EST on Saturday, Nov. 18th). The timing
favors observers in western Europe, Brazil and the Atlantic coast of
North America, who could see as many as 100 meteors per hour.  Dark
skies are strongly recommended.

Educational CyberPlayGround K12 Newsletters Mailing List
Set Preferences Subscribe - Unsubscribe - Digest

Copyright statements to be included when reproducing
annotations from the Educational CyberPlayGround K12 Newsletter

The single phrase below is the copyright notice to be used when
reproducing any portion of this report, in any format:

EDUCATIONAL CYBERPLAYGROUND http://www.edu-cyberpg.com
K12 Newsletter copyright

Advertise K12 Newsletters http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Community/Subguidelines.html