[ECP] Revealing Native American/First Nations Culture ? Graphic Narrative Style!

  • From: Educational CyberPlayGround <admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: K12NewsLetters@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 13:48:50 -0400

Revealing Native American/First Nations Culture ? Graphic Narrative Style!

November is "Native American Month"; it is the month to celebrate the contributions Native Americans have made to Modern Society.

With that in mind, Little Spirit Bear Productions is revealing Aboriginal culture and the early North American history through its comic strips and graphic novels, Adventures of Rabbit and Bear Paws. John Beaucage, Grand Council Chief of the 42 First Nation communities of the Anishinabek Nation ( http://www.anishinabek.ca ) has endorsed "Rabbit and Bear Paws", saying its "an informative and entertaining way for Canadians of all ages to learn more about First Nations history, cultures and traditions."

The stories of Adventures of Rabbit and Bear Paws are for children and the young at heart. This series of is set in 1750's colonized North America and features the wild wacky exploits of two brothers, Rabbit and Bear Paws. Using Traditional Native Teachings and humor, the stories are based on THE SEVEN FIRES PROPHECIES and THE SEVEN GRANDFATHERS.

Here's a snapshot of the material. Rabbit and Bear Paws are heroes that we created to share humorous adventures based on Traditional Teachings. The idea is to have the family - Rabbit, Bear Paws, Clover Blossom and Grey Stone visits other communities. Sharing with our audiences how Native peoples worked out their differences peacefully when challenges arose. At the same time the stories show how we all learn from each other and that we need to help each other out, including the new neighbors (Europeans). The characters will travel to different parts of the North America, from coast to coast in new humorous adventures. In those adventures we will learn about the different cultures and the gifts that they contributed to modern society.

Currently we have a graphic novel called Adventures of Rabbit and Bear Paws VOL 1:
The Sugar Bush. (Based on the Grandfather Mnaadendmowin ?Respect)

This is the first of a series of seven books based on the Seven Grandfathers,
the wisdom of the Anishinabek community, which include respect, courage, love, wisdom, honesty, humility and truth.

Teachers and Educators interested in learning more about Little Spirit Bear Productions and other teacher resources
available from Little Spirit Bear Productions.

Email us at info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Meegwetch (Thanks)

Chad Solomon

Little Spirit Bear Productions