POND> Hummingbird Trip to Costa Rica

  • From: Gleason Sackmann <gleason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: K12Newsletters <k12newsletters@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 09:40:00 -0600

K12NewsLetters - From Educational CyberPlayGround
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/

Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 17:26:04 -0500
From: Hilton Pond Center <ThisWeek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Hummingbird Trip to Costa Rica
To: Gleason Sackman <gleason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

As a subscriber to "This Week at Hilton Pond," think you'll be
interested in the following special announcement.

In December 2004, I'll be leading an expedition to tropical
Costa Rica to study Ruby-throated Hummingbirds (Archilochus
colubris) on their wintering grounds.

All participants will be involved in observing, capturing, and
banding hummingbirds, and in learning hummingbird
protocols that are part of "Operation RubyThroat: The
Hummingbird Project" and The GLOBE Program.

Any adult may join us, but to encourage K-12 teachers to
participate the trip will be held during the holiday break
on 26 Dec-2 Jan. We will be happy to collaborate with
educators in their efforts to find grants to help underwrite
trip costs, and to work with your home institution on
possibly awarding graduate credit. (NOTE: If the December
trip fills, a second one may be offered on 2-9 Jan.)

Winter behavior of ruby-throats has been poorly studied in
the tropics, so there may be opportunities for the group to
make important scientific discoveries. Along the way, we'll
also get acquainted with Costa Rican culture and diverse
tropical habitats and organisms.

Offered through Holbrook Travel, the eight-day expedition
is priced at only $1,079, plus airfare.

For a detailed itinerary and information about how you can
participate in this exciting research and education
opportunity, visit the Web site for Hilton Pond Center for
Piedmont Natural History at
<http://www.hiltonpond.org/CostaRicaAnnounceMain04.html>

We expect all 14 slots for the December expedition to fill
quickly, so please don't delay in registering.  :-)

Happy (Tropical) Hummingbird Watching!

BILL

BILL HILTON JR.,
Executive Director, Hilton Pond Center for Piedmont Natural History
Principal Investigator, "Operation RubyThroat: The Hummingbird Project"
1432 DeVinney Road
York, South Carolina 29745 USA
803-684-5852

The mission of Hilton Pond Center for Piedmont Natural History is
"to conserve plants, animals, habitats, and other natural components
of the Piedmont Region of the eastern United States through
observation, scientific study, and education for students of all ages."

Please visit our Web sites (courtesy of Comporium.net) at
<<http://www.hiltonpond.org>> and for "Operation RubyThroat:
The Hummingbird Project" at <<http://www.rubythroat.org>>

<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>
EDUCATIONAL CYBERPLAYGROUND
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com

VENDORS REACH THE EDUCATION MARKET
FREE EDUCATION VENDOR DIRECTORY LISTING
Find PREMIUM & FEATURED MERCHANT LISTING ALSO
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Directory/default.asp

HOT LIST OF SCHOOLS ONLINE
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Schools/default.asp

SERVICES
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/PS/Home_Products.html

Net Happenings,K12 Newsletters, Network Newsletters
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Community/index.html