PBS> PBS Teacher Previews: May 9-15, 2004

  • From: Gleason Sackmann <gleason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: K12Newsletters <k12newsletters@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 09:04:37 -0500

Integrate Literacy, Music, and Technology into the classroom.

Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 12:21:34 -0400 (EDT)
From: teacherpreviews@xxxxxxx
To: gleason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: PBS Teacher Previews: May 9-15, 2004

PBS Teacher Previews: May 9-15, 2004
Welcome to PBS Teacher Previews, the weekly newsletter from PBS designed
specifically for preK-12 educators.

Program times listed are for PRAIRIE PUBLIC TELEVISION.
To change your local PBS station, please visit your "My Profile" area on
PBS Teachersource : http://www.pbs.org/teachersource/preferences/

The resources listed below are grouped into subject areas that correlate
with those found on PBS TeacherSource (http://pbs.org/teachersource/),
PBS's Web site for preK-12 educators. Grade level, resource type and
extended taping rights codes are also indicated for each listing.

To make the most effective use of this publication, please consult the
"Teacher Code Key" at the end of this document.

Note: Please always check with your local PBS station for a complete
schedule of exact dates and times for PBS television programs. PBS television
schedules are created at the local level, so some national programs may not be
available in your area. All PBS programs listed in this newsletter allow for
off-air  taping and subsequent classroom usage of one year or more. For
complete
details, please visit the TV For Teachers section of PBS TeacherSource
at http://pbs.org/teachersource/tvteachers.htm

ARTS AND LITERATURE
American High
Lesson: "Legal and Ethical Aspects of Reality TV"
PBSOL>
High School

In this lesson students learn about the basic legal and ethical
responsibilities shouldered by people making "reality" videos.

http://www.pbs.org/americanhigh/teachers/lesson4.html

The Blues
Lesson: "The South, the North and the Great Migration"
PBSOL>
High School

Use this lesson to explore the relationship between blues music
and African American Literature. Students also learn about the
Jim Crow South and African American migration to the North.

http://www.pbs.org/theblues/classroom/defmigration.html

HEALTH AND FITNESS
Alan Alda in Scientific American Frontiers
"Don't Forget"
TV> PBSOL>
Middle / High School
Join Alan Alda for an investigation of how people create
memories -- and how as they age, memories become slippery and
elusive, sometimes vanishing forever. (CC, Stereo, DVI, 1 year)

Download "Memory Tests" to use with middle and high school
students.

http://www.pbs.org/saf

Sound And Fury
Lesson: "The Science of Sound"
PBSOL>
High School

In this lesson students explore the sense of hearing and the
importance of other cues that aid in comprehension and speech.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/soundandfury/lesson2.html

MATH
PBS Mathline
Lesson: "The Movies: All About Film"
PBSOL>
Middle / High School

Students explore rate and distance measurements in this lesson
about movie reels.

http://www.pbs.org/teachersource/mathline/concepts/movies/activity2.shtm

Cyberchase
Online Game: "Pour to Score"
PBSOL>
Middle School

In this game, students pour liquid from one container into
another to find a range of exact measures that result from a
combination of sums and differences.

http://pbskids.org/cyberchase/games/hardproblems/hardproblems.html

SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
Nature
"The Seedy Side of Plants"
TV> PBSOL> MARC>
Middle / High School
Join us as we travel around the globe -- through lush
rainforests, arid deserts and backyards -- to explore the
remarkable ways that plants have adapted to the unique
conditions of their environment in order to flourish. (CC,
Stereo, DVI, 1 year)

At the companion Web site, learn how controversial genetic
engineering is altering the natural seed production of plants.

http://www.pbs.org/nature/plants

NOVA
"Magnetic Storm"
TV> PBSOL> MARC>
Middle / High School
Tuesday, May 11, 2004
7:00 - 8:00 PM
Like the plot of a sci-fi B movie, something weird is happening
underground where the constant spin of Earth's liquid metallic
core generates an invisible magnetic force field that shields
our planet from harmful radiation in space. Gradually, the
field is growing weaker. Tune in for this look at our
potentially unsettling magnetic future. (CC, Stereo, DVI, 1
year)

Access viewing ideas and a classroom activity related to this
NOVA episode at the companion Web site.

http://www.pbs.org/nova/magnetic

National Geographic Special
"Dawn of the Maya"

High School
Wednesday, May 12, 2004
7:00 - 8:00 PM
Tune in for this new "National Geographic Special" which
uncovers how the great Maya civilization was already
flourishing around the time of Christ, suffered a collapse and
went through a great resurgence, all before the Europeans
arrived. (CC, Stereo, 1 year)

SOCIAL STUDIES
American Experience
"Tupperware!"
TV> PBSOL>
Middle / High School
Join actress Kathy Bates for this program which charts the
origins of the small plastics company that unpredictably became
a cultural phenomenon. Find out the secret behind Tupperware's
success: the women of all shapes, sizes and backgrounds who
discovered they could move up in the world without leaving the
house. (CC, Stereo, DVI, 1 year)

Acesss suggested classroom activities in history, economics,
geography and civics at the companion Web site.

http://www.pbs.org/amex/tupperware

Independent Lens
"Refugee"
TV> PBSOL> MARC>
High School
Tuesday, May 11, 2004
9:00 - 10:00 PM
Three young Cambodian American men, raised on the streets of
San Francisco's tough Tenderloin district, travel to Cambodia
wielding video cameras to capture their experiences of meeting
fathers, sisters and brothers for the first time. These family
reunions reveal the quagmire of Cambodian political upheaval
and military invasion, as well as the heavy toll of years spent
apart in different worlds. (CC, Stereo, 1 year)

Learn more the film and the filmmakers at the companion Web
site.

http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/refugee
(Available May 4, 2004)

Beyond Brown: Pursuing the Promise
TV> MARC>
High School
To mark the 50th anniversary of the historic Supreme Court
ruling "Brown v. Board of Education," Emmy-winning director
Stanley Nelson examines the legal battle that ended the
nation's system of sanctioned apartheid and the impact and
influence of that decision. (CC, Stereo, 1 year)

NOW With Bill Moyers
TV> PBSOL>
High School
Friday, May 14, 2004
8:00 - 9:00 PM
Join Bill Moyers and NPR reporters for documentary reporting,
in-depth interviews and articulate commentary. (CC, Stereo, 1
year)

Log onto the "For Educators" section of the Web site and access
our vast resource of lesson plans for high school students.

http://www.pbs.org/now

Race: The Power of An Illusion
"The Difference Between Us"
TV> PBSOL>
High School
Tune in and watch the first television series to scrutinize the
very idea of race through the distinct lenses of science,
history and social institutions. This first episode examines
several discoveries that illustrate why humans cannot be
subdivided into races and reveals that there are no
characteristics, no traits -- not even one gene -- that
distinguish all members of one "race" from all members of
another. (CC, Stereo, 1 year)

The companion Web site presents tools to help educators explore
the significance of race through multiple disciplines. Access
the online lesson plans that draw from the television series,
the Web site and carefully selected resources.

http://www.pbs.org/race

By the People
Lesson: "Campaign Finance Simulation"
PBSOL>
High School

Students role play politicians and special interest groups in a
simulation of how the two groups interact with one another,
learning about how their relationship shapes the contours of
campaign finance.

http://www.pbs.org/elections/kids/lessons/lesson_plan4.html

Online NewsHour EXTRA
PBSOL>
Middle / High School

Check out this online publication from the NewsHour that brings
current events into the classroom with a fresh perspective.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/extra

Vermont Public Television
"VPT's Outdoor Journal"
Station>
Middle / High School

Planning your summer vacation to New England? Don't miss the
companion Web site to VPT's television program "Outdoor
Journal." Learn about the best places to enjoy the outdoors in
the Green Mountain State!

http://www.vermontpublictv.org/programs/outjnl.html

PBS KIDS ARE READY TO LEARN
 >From the Start: A Ready to Learn Resource for PreK-2 Educators
"Reading, Rhyming and Storytiming"
PBSOL>
Preschool / Elementary School

Anytime can be storytime and everyone has a story to tell!
Encourage your students to tell their stories in new and
creative ways.

http://www.pbs.org/teachersource/prek2/theme/index.shtm

OPPORTUNITIES
NEA Foundation June Grants
Profdev>
Elementary / Middle / High School

All U.S. public school teachers in grades K-12, education
support professionals or higher education faculty and staff are
eligible to apply for the NEA Foundation's Innovation Grants
and Learning and Leadership Grants. Grant amounts are up to
$5,000 per project. Application deadline: June 1, 2004.

http://www.neafoundation.org/programs/grantguides.htm

BLYTHE BENNETT'S RECOMMENDED SITE OF THE WEEK
SmokeyKids

Preschool / Elementary School

Log on to play games and solve puzzles. Be sure to read
directions on how to play the games or your forest might become
engulfed in flames. Check out the section titled "Only You" to
learn about the science of forest fires, how some fires are
beneficial and how to fight fires.

http://www.smokeybear.com/kids/default.asp

TEACHER CODE KEY

TV--Indicates a PBS Television broadcast with Educational Taping Rights of 1
year or more.
Broadcast times are in Eastern Time (ET).
(CC) Indicates programs with closed captioning
(Stereo) Indicates programs in stereo
(DVS) Indicates programs with descriptive video

Educational Taping Rights Variations:
http://pbs.org/teachersource/copyright/copyright_trights.shtm
(1 year) = Use within One Year from Broadcast
(1 year OB) = Use within One Year from Original Broadcast
(3 years OB) = Use within three years of the original broadcast
(LOT) = Life of Tape--use the program as long as the tape is physically
usable

PBSOL--Indicates a World Wide Web site on PBS Online
WWW--Indicates a World Wide Web Site NOT on PBS Online
Video--Indicates videotape(s) available from PBS
VIDEO at http://shop.pbs.org/education/
Guide--Indicates a teacher guide or lesson guide
Station--Indicates station resource or event
Discussion--Indicates an online discussion forum
Profdev--Indicates a professional development resource
MARC--MARC records are available for this resource --
please see http://www.pbs.org/teachersource/library.htm

SIGN UP TO RECEIVE PBS TEACHER PREVIEWS BY E-MAIL:

To sign up for PBS Teacher Previews, go to your "My Profile" area on
PBS TeacherSource:http://pbs.org/teachersource/preferences/

We hope you enjoy PBS Teacher Previews and PBS Online. Please let us know
what you think by sending e-mail to teachersource@xxxxxxxx As always, thanks
for supporting PBS.

If you like PBS Teacher Previews, you'll love PBS Previews, PBS Online's
original
electronic newsletter highlighting the latest information about new PBS Online
Web
sites and upcoming primetime public television programs.

Sign up to receive PBS Previews, the PBS weekly online newsletter, via e-mail
at http://www.pbs.org/whatson/previews/subscribe.html

Reproduction of PBS Teacher Previews is permitted with proper credit given to
PBS Online.

Copyright 2004 PBS Online.

<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>
EDUCATIONAL CYBERPLAYGROUND
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com

Net Happenings, K12 Newsletters, Network Newsletters
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Community/index.html

FREE EDUCATION VENDOR DIRECTORY LISTING
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Directory/default.asp

HOT LIST OF SCHOOLS ONLINE