NOVA> [NOVA Teachers] April 27, 2004

  • From: Gleason Sackmann <gleason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: K12Newsletters <k12newsletters@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 08:33:00 -0500

Integrate Literacy, Music, and Technology into the classroom.
**************************************************************Date: Wed, 21 Apr
2004 12:00:46 -0400
From: owner-nova-teachers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (NOVA)
To: nova-teachers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (NOVA Teachers)
Subject: [NOVA Teachers] April 27, 2004

Hello Educators,

In next week's repeat broadcast of NOVA's "Lost Treasures of Tibet,"
travel to the Mustang region of Nepal, where a small group of
conservators work with local townspeople to preserve murals on
monastery walls. (Subjects covered: anthropology/archeology; social
studies; world history)

We hope you had a chance to visit our "World in the Balance" Web
site that accompanied this week's program, which is filled with
features and interactives related to world population issues. You
can find the site at

      http://www.pbs.org/nova/worldbalance/

If you have visited the site, we hope you will take a few minutes to
provide us with feedback about its features so that we can continue
to best meet your classroom needs. Find a site survey at "Review
This Site" in the site's Resources section.

Please note that there has been a change in our upcoming schedule.
In two weeks, we will be airing "Battle Plan Under Fire," a new NOVA
program about the evolving science of war. The previously scheduled
repeat "Secrets, Lies, and Atomic Spies" will not air that week.

In the coming weeks:

May 4   -- Battle Plan Under Fire
             http://www.pbs.org/nova/wartech/

May 11  -- varies (check your local listings)

May 18  -- Wright Brothers' Flying Machine (R)
             http://www.pbs.org/nova/wright/

For a complete listing of upcoming programs, visit

      http://www.pbs.org/nova/teachers/schedule.html

Regards,
Karen Hartley
Teachers Editor
NOVA Web Site
http://www.pbs.org/nova/teachers/
E-mail: NOVA_Teachers@xxxxxxxx

                           * * * * * * * *

NOVA Presents "Lost Treasures of Tibet" (R)
Broadcast: April 27, 2004
http://www.pbs.org/nova/tibet/
(NOVA usually airs Tuesday nights. Check your local listings.
This program has one-year off-air taping rights.)

      Before and After
      Compare nine paintings in Lo Monthang's Thubchen monastery
      before and after restoration. (Flash plug-in required.)
      (Grades 3-5, 6-8, 9-12)

      Creating a Wall Painting
      Read about the steps involved in restoring the 15th-century
      Thubchen and Champa monastery murals. (Grades 9-12)

      Tour Mustang
      Take a look at the people, villages, and vistas of Mustang in
      this photo tour. (Grades 3-5, 6-8, 9-12)

      Deciphering Buddha Imagery
      Learn about some of the familiar traits found in the Buddha
      image, as well as the meanings of the five most common hand
      gestures, in this interactive feature. (Flash plug-in
      required; non-Flash version available.) (Grades 6-8, 9-12)

      NOVA News Minute: Lost Treasures of Tibet -- Tibet's Treasures
      (Running time -- 1 minute 35 seconds)
      Use this news clip to introduce students to ways
      conservationists preserve 15th-century murals in a Tibetan
      monastery, including an early form of baking powder that
      dissolves grease and surface dirt without removing the paint.
      Transcript included. (QuickTime or RealVideo plug-in required.)
      (Grades 6-8, 9-12)

      Teacher's Guide
      In this classroom activity, students consider angles and
      geometric shapes as they create a mandala-style piece of art.
      (Grades 6-8, 9-12)

      Program Transcript
      The site includes a complete narration for this program.

Plus Links & Books.

                          * * * * * * * *

Major funding for NOVA is provided by the Park Foundation, Sprint,
and Microsoft. Additional funding is provided by the Corporation for
Public Broadcasting and public television viewers.

<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>
EDUCATIONAL CYBERPLAYGROUND
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com

Net Happenings, K12 Newsletters, Network Newsletters
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Community/index.html

FREE EDUCATION VENDOR DIRECTORY LISTING
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Directory/default.asp

HOT LIST OF SCHOOLS ONLINE