Greetings, It's a rainy day today. Hope it's better where you live. Happy reading for today. best, <Karen> 1) CYBERBULLY I would like to invite educators on your list to participate in this year's fifth Annual Bullying Awareness Week. This year it will take place from November 18th to the 24th. Those interested can visit http://www.bullyingawarenessweek.org/ for more information. Bill Belsey (an educator and long-time Nethappenings list member) Let's Fight It Together http://www.digizen.org/cyberbullying/fullFilm.aspx Cyber Bullies - video's to watch and resources http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Teachers/cyberbully.html Explained by Perry Aftab and WiredSafety's Teenangels Cyberbullying: Angels and Warriors Portrait of an (alleged) cyber bully as a young man http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/04/bot_herder_profile/ 2) OECD's Education at a Glance 2007 was released and is available for downloading (> 443 pages) at: http://www.oecd.org/document/30/0,3343,en_2649_201185_39251550_1_1_1_1,00.html#new Following is part of the executive summary: Education at a Glance is the OECD's annual round-up of data and analysis on education, providing a rich, comparable and up-to-date array of indicators on education systems in the OECD's 30 member countries and in a number of partner economies. 3) Tapped In Calendar Feed http://tappedin.org/tappedin/do/CalendarAction?state=getFeed 4) K-8 Ed Tech Resources http://www.ncs-tech.org/ 5) FactCheckEd http://www.factchecked.org/Welcome.aspx Our aim is to help students learn to be smart consumers of these messages, to see through the deceptions that they encounter daily, to dig for facts using the Internet and other resources, and to set aside prejudice and weigh evidence logically. 6) Child Development Timeline Progress Chart 1 month - 5 years old http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Teachers/time.html Baby Development ChartEvery child is different. This chart gives general milestones in a child's development.
7) Kindergarten Music - Keeping a Steady Beat http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Music/kindergartenmusic.html Kindergarten skills check list http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Culdesac/kindersite.html 8) K-12 Free Coloring books published by the Government http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Arts/color.html 9) From Interwrite Learning: http://www.interwritelearning.com/contest/ Show everyone your classroom's talent and technology in our video contest! Your song-parody video could be your school's ticket to fame and $15,000 in interactive classroom technology, plus hundreds of lesson plans and other content?an Interactive Makeover?. Read the rules and submit your video by October 21. 10) K-12 Art Education And Advocacy http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Arts/HOME_Arts.html Schools can use Free Clipart including:Graphics, Photos, Templates, Graphics Sounds and Fonts, Animated graphics, backgrounds, borders, web buttons Icons, weddings, valentines, flowers, cupid, School, christmas, christian, valentine, plants,
domestic animals, farm animals, wild animals, birds art; and images. 11) Roots of U.S. Folk Dance http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Arts/Dance.htmlFirst Nation, African American, Tap, flatfoot, buck, hoedown, and tap dancing, square dance, clogging, the styles of solo Southern dancing, Native American, Eastern European Folk Dance Culture, other world cultures.
12) "MUSEUMS & LEARNING: A GUIDE FOR FAMILY VISITS" offers suggestions on how to http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Arts/museums.htmlmake museum visits enjoyable learning experiences for families with children ranging in age from 4 to 12 years old.
13) Halloween songs, film, culture, history and other music holidays we celebrate http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Music/halloween.html 14) Eggheads: How bird brains are shaking up science http://www.boston.com/news/globe/ideas/articles/2007/09/16/eggheads By Jonah Lehrer THE NEW CALEDONIAN crow is surprisingly smart about its food. Its favorite insects live in tiny crevices that are too narrow for its beak. So the crow takes a barbed leaf and, using its beak and claws, fashions a primitive hook. It then lowers the hook down into the cracks, almost like a man fishing, and draws up a rich meal. Some scientists even suggest that crows are more sophisticated tool builders than chimps, since they can transmit their knowledge on to successive generations and improve the tools over time. These birds have a culture. 15) NASA Mission: Hurricanes -- Grades 6-8 http://esc.nasa.gov/html_files/Hurricanes.htmlHere's an opportunity for students to become hurricane detectives! NASA scientists follow the clues that are left behind by these storms. Students have the opportunity to consult with a NASA scientist or educator, analyze NASA data, and communicate their findings.
Mission: Habitat Moon -- Grades 3-12 http://esc.nasa.gov/html_files/HabitatMoon.htmlWithin the next decade, humans will once again return to the moon. The ultimate goal is to build a base to live and work on the moon. Mission: Habitat Moon wants your students to play the roles of the first engineers and scientists on the moon. Student engineers can design and construct an enclosed habitat of their own, as well as monitor its maintenance.
Mission: Moon Math -- Grades 5-8 http://esc.nasa.gov/html_files/moon_math.htmlThis challenge is an opportunity for students to complete a scientific investigation related to NASA's efforts to return to the moon by 2020. Students will work in teams of two to design, build and conduct an experiment on some aspect of the moon. All projects must incorporate measurement.
16) Space Weather News for Oct. 10, 2007 http://spaceweather.comCELESTIAL TRIANGLE: Set your alarm. For the next five mornings, just before dawn banishes the night, you can see a compact celestial triangle rising in the eastern sky. The corners are dazzling Venus, Saturn and the bright star Regulus. This is worth waking up for--at least once. AURORA WATCH: A solar wind stream is heading for Earth and it may spark a geomagnetic storm when it arrives on Oct. 11th or 12th. High-latitude sky watchers should be alert for auroras.
17) NOVA Oct. 23 -- Saved By the Sun (repeat) http://www.pbs.org/nova/solar Oct. 30 -- Marathon Challenge http://www.pbs.org/nova/marathon Nov. 6 -- Sputnik Declassified http://www.pbs.org/nova/sputnik