Fwd: CIT Infobits -- January 2005

  • From: Educational CyberPlayGround <admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: K12NewsLetters@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 11:50:57 -0500

All Mailing Lists
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Community/index.html

CIT INFOBITS    January 2005            No. 79          ISSN 1521-9275

About INFOBITS

INFOBITS is an electronic service of The University of North Carolina
at Chapel Hill's Center for Instructional Technology. Each month the
CIT's Information Resources Consultant monitors and selects from a
number of information and instructional technology sources
that come to her attention and provides brief notes for electronic
dissemination to educators.

Turning Learning Over to Students
Student Perceptions in Web-Based Courses
Copyright and Learning
Will the Web Change Standards for Literature Reviews?
Technology and Postsecondary Education Access Report
Recommended Reading
Infobits Subscribers -- Where Are We in 2004?

TURNING LEARNING OVER TO STUDENTS

"A common report from anecdotal writing over many generations of
educators is that it is the teacher who usually learns the most during
the process of gathering content materials, designing, teaching and
evaluating student performance." According to Terry Anderson and Norine
Wark, in "Why Do Teachers Get to Learn the Most? A Case Study of a
Course Based on Student Creation of Learning Objects" (e-JIST, vol. 7,
no. 2, 2004), this can be remedied by "the creation of innovative,
flexible instructional course designs aimed at creating active learning
communities in which the students take on the major roles of
constructing, sharing and teaching the course content." Anderson and
Wark's developed an instructional design that encourages collaboration
by groups of students in online classes. Their assessment of their
study indicates that such a design can "reduce instructor workload,
provide opportunity for students to acquire new skills while increasing
their subject content knowledge, and create a lasting legacy of
re-usable learning objects."

The paper is available online at
http://www.usq.edu.au/electpub/e-jist/docs/Vol7_no2/FullPapers/WhyDoTeachers
.htm

e-Journal of Instructional Science and Technology (e-JIST) is a
peer-reviewed electronic journal published by the Distance and
e-Learning Centre, University of Southern Queensland, Toowoomba,
Queensland 4350, Australia; Web: http://www.usq.edu.au/dec/.
Current and back issues of e-JIST are available at no cost at
http://www.usq.edu.au/electpub/e-jist/.

STUDENT PERCEPTIONS IN WEB-BASED COURSES

In "Measuring Student Perceptions in Web-Based Courses: A
Standards-Based Approach" (ONLINE JOURNAL OF DISTANCE LEARNING
ADMINISTRATION, vol. VII, no. IV, Winter 2004), authors Joe Jurczyk,
Susan N. Kushner Benson, and John R. Savery present a "method that
instructors and administrators can use to measure student perceptions
in a distance learning environment using a set of standards from the
Institute of Higher Education Policy (IHEP)." Using their experience
with a graduate course in social science research methods, the authors
illustrate how to apply their assessment method. Their paper is
available online at
http://www.westga.edu/%7Edistance/ojdla/winter74/jurczyk74.htm.

The Online Journal of Distance Learning Administration is a free,
peer-reviewed quarterly published by the Distance and Distributed
Education Center, The State University of West Georgia, 1600 Maple
Street, Carrollton, GA 30118 USA;
Web: http://www.westga.edu/~distance/jmain11.html.

The IHEP standards were designed to establish best practices benchmarks
for higher education distance learning courses. The benchmarks are
organized into the following categories: institutional support, course
development, teaching and learning process, course structure, student
support, faculty support, and evaluation and assessment.

IHEP's mission is "to foster access and success in postsecondary
education through public policy research and other activities that
inform and influence the policymaking process." For more information
about IHEP, go to http://www.ihep.com/.

COPYRIGHT AND LEARNING

"Like evil trolls guarding the gates, the copyright controllers are
trying to hold sway over our actions and create walled gardens around
knowledge repositories so that they can maintain full control over who
uses applications or accesses content and when, where, and how they use
it."

In "Stealing the Goose: Copyright and Learning" (IRRODL, November 2004)
Rory McGreal calls for taking back education's "fair use" and "fair
dealing" rights that are in jeopardy as some intellectual property
owners seek to tighten control and maximize profits. The article is
available online at http://www.irrodl.org/content/v5.3/mcgreal.html.

International Review of Research in Open and Distance Learning (IRRODL)
[ISSN 1492-3831] is a free, refereed ejournal published by Athabasca
University - Canada's Open University. For more information, contact
Paula Smith, IRRODL Managing    Editor; tel: 780-675-6810; fax:
780-675-672; email: irrodl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; Web: http://www.irrodl.org/.

FairUse
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Teachers/copyrightlaw.html

WILL THE WEB CHANGE STANDARDS FOR LITERATURE REVIEWS?

In the twentieth century, many scholars saw such explosive growth of
publication in their disciplines. To maintain even a semblance of
keeping up, scholars became more selective in their reading, often
concentrating on only a narrow field of interest. Now that more and
more journals are available on the Web [as evidenced by postings in
such services as NewJour] we see another growth spurt with scholars
having access to publications ostensibly outside their fields, but
nonetheless relevant to their interests. In "Digital Libraries and
Multi-Disciplinary Research Skills" (LIBRES, vol. 14, issue 2,
September 2004) Mike Thelwall discusses the current situation and
outlines how digital libraries are changing literature reviewing. He
calls for better searching skills to get the best results from
literature searches: ". . . the most effective researchers of the
future will have a different skill set than those of today. Perhaps
there is an advantage to be gained by the scholars who recognise this
first and particularly for universities that incorporate training on
how to critically evaluate research from a wide range of fields into
their doctoral research methods courses." The article is available
online at http://libres.curtin.edu.au/libres14n2/index.htm.

LIBRES (Library and Information Science Research) [ISSN 1058-6768] is
published by the Department of Media and Information, Curtin University
of Technology, Perth, Western Australia. Current and back issues are
available at http://libres.curtin.edu.au/index.htm.
LIBRES is an international refereed electronic journal devoted to new
research in Library and Information Science. Libres is distributed
through a listserver and an FTP site. Listserver subscribers are
notified of new issues through the distribution of a table of contents
to LIBRES, LIBREF-L, and any other e-conferences requesting the
service.

NewJour, the New Journal and Newsletter Announcement List for new
serials on the Internet announces newly planned, newly issued, or
revised electronic networked journals or newsletters and announces the
availability of paper journals and newsletters as they become available
on electronic networks. NewJour is produced by Ann Shumelda Okerson
(Yale University) and James J. O'Donnell (Georgetown University).
Operations are managed from the Lauinger Library of Georgetown
University and the archive is provided courtesy of the University of
California at San Diego Libraries.

To search the NewJour archive or to receive NewJour announcements, go
to http://gort.ucsd.edu/newjour/.

TECHNOLOGY AND POSTSECONDARY EDUCATION ACCESS REPORT

"How Does Technology Affect Access in Postsecondary Education? What Do
We Really Know?" reports on a National Postsecondary Education
Cooperative research designed to "examine the relationship between
technology and access to postsecondary education. The resulting study
identified four basic themes: technology and access to postsecondary
education in general; access to technology-based learning; preparation
for using technology; and the effectiveness of technology in learning."
Some of the study's findings include:

-- "Technology is opening up new markets of potential students without
significantly diminishing the number of students who would enroll in
traditional colleges and universities."

-- "Internet-based distance education appears to be evolving its own
pedagogy with the introduction of more audio and video and broadband
access. Online courses have characteristics that are unique to the
technology, which allows the exploration of new and richer pedagogical
models."

-- "In spite of the considerable number of computers available to
teachers in elementary and secondary schools, some analysts assert that
since teachers are not trained to use technology or given opportunities
to develop creative uses for technology, computers are merely used as
glorified typewriters."

The report is available online at
http://nces.ed.gov/pubsearch/pubsinfo.asp?pubid=2004831.

The National Postsecondary Education Cooperative (NPEC) is a voluntary
partnership of postsecondary institutions, associations, government
agencies, and organizations. NPEC receives funding from the National
Center for Education Statistics (NCES), U.S. Department of Education.
For more information go to http://nces.ed.gov/npec/.

RECOMMENDED READING

"Recommended Reading" lists items that have been recommended to me or
that Infobits readers have found particularly interesting and/or
useful, including books, articles, and websites published by Infobits
subscribers. Send your recommendations to carolyn_kotlas@xxxxxxx for
possible inclusion in this column.

Infobits subscriber Arun-Kumar Tripathi
(tripathi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) recommends his article in
a recent issue of UBIQUITY:

"Technologically Mediated Lifeworld"
Ubiquity: An ACM IT Magazine and Forum, vol. 5, issue 41, December
         23-31, 2004
http://www.acm.org/ubiquity/views/v5i41_tripathy.html

Arun Tripathy Ringleader on the Educational CyberPlayGround
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/ringleaders/arun.html

"As humanity and its technologies have progressed, they have also
become more intertwined -- until the contemporary notion of self
extends far beyond bone and sinew, into outer space and cyberspace.
Technology has become an essential part of who we take ourselves to be,
influencing our beliefs and desires, our plans and goals, our visions
of what we are, have been, and might yet become."

INFOBITS SUBSCRIBERS -- WHERE ARE WE IN 2004?

Each January issue of Infobits includes an annual subscriber tally
listing the countries represented by our subscribers. As of January 12,
2005, there were 7,255 subscribers. Here are some brief statistics
about our current subscribers.

The majority of the subscribers we could identify by country are in the
United States (3,660) and other English-speaking countries: Canada
(443), Australia (259), and the United Kingdom (171).

Each of the following countries has between eleven and sixty
subscribers: Belgium, Brazil, Colombia, Germany, Hong Kong, India,
Israel, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Peru,
Singapore, South Africa, Spain, and Sweden.

Each of the following countries has 10 or fewer subscribers:
Afghanistan, American Samoa, Argentina, Austria, Bolivia, Brunei,
Cayman Islands, Chile, China, Cuba, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican
Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, Estonia, Fiji, Finland, France, Gabon,
Greece, Hrvatska (Croatia), Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Ireland,
Korea, Macedonia, Malaysia, Mauritius, Micronesia, Mongolia, Morocco,
Namibia, Norway, Pakistan, Philippines, Portugal, Romania, Russia,
Saudi Arabia, Slovenia, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, Trinidad,
Turkey, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, Uruguay, Venezuela, and
Yugoslavia.

In addition to subscribers whom we can positively identify by a
geographic location, 1,712 subscribers are from commercial sites, 201
subscribers are from .org sites, 654 are from .net sites and 59 are
from the U.S. government.

Many thanks to all the subscribers for your support in 2004!

To Subscribe

CIT INFOBITS is published by the Center for Instructional Technology.
The CIT supports the interests of faculty members at UNC-Chapel Hill
who are exploring the use of Internet and video projects. Services
include both consultation on appropriate uses and technical support.

following message:

SUBSCRIBE INFOBITS firstname lastname

substituting your own first and last names.

Example: SUBSCRIBE INFOBITS Jasper Fforde

or use the web subscription form at

http://mail.unc.edu/lists/read/subscribe?name=infobits

following message:

UNSUBSCRIBE INFOBITS

INFOBITS is also available online on the World Wide Web at
http://www.unc.edu/cit/infobits/ (HTML format) and at
http://www.unc.edu/cit/infobits/text/index.html (plain text format).

If you have problems subscribing or want to send suggestions for future
issues, contact the editor, Carolyn Kotlas, at kotlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Article Suggestions

Infobits always welcomes article suggestions from our readers, although
we cannot promise to print everything submitted. Because of our
publishing schedule, we are not able to announce time-sensitive events
such as upcoming conferences and calls for papers or grant
applications; however, we do include articles about online conference
proceedings that are of interest to our readers. We can announce your
conference on our "Calendar of World-Wide Educational
Technology-Related Conferences, Seminars, and Other Events" at
http://atncalendar.depts.unc.edu:8086/.

While we often mention commercial products, publications, and Web
sites, Infobits does not accept or reprint unsolicited advertising
copy. Send your article suggestions to the editor at
kotlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Copyright 2005, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Center
for Instructional Technology. All rights reserved. May be reproduced in
any medium for non-commercial purposes.

<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>
EDUCATIONAL CYBERPLAYGROUND
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com

Net Happenings, K12 Newsletters, Network Newsletters
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Community/index.html

FREE EDUCATION VENDOR DIRECTORY LISTING
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Directory/default.asp

HOT LIST OF SCHOOLS ONLINE