[ECP] Educational CyberPlayGround K-12 Science Headlines and Resources

  • From: Educational CyberPlayGround <admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: K12NewsLetters@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 06:00:00 -0500

Don't Forget to  **UPDATE  K-12 Newsletter  SUBSCRIPTION**
ECP wants you to get  the K-12 Newsletter and welcomes new subscribers.
Sign up to Educational CyberPlayGround Blog and start getting K-12 Newsletters Today.

Hilton Pond
Our most recent banding of a Ruby-throated Hummingbird at Hilton Pond
Center in 2007 was on 4 October, so we're guessing we won't be
catching any more locally until next spring. Thus, it's time for our
annual report on how successful we were at capturing new hummers and
recapturing those that returned from previous seasons.
All in all, 2007 was a very good year for ruby-throats, so we hope
you'll check out our photo essay for 15-21 October 2007 at
<< http://www.hiltonpond.org/ThisWeek071015.html>>
As always we include a tally of other bird species banded and
recaptured during the period. There are also some notes about
Yellow-rumped Warblers and a recent visit by members of the South
Carolina Wildlife Federation.
Registration deadlines for our 2008 hummingbird banding trips to
Costa Rica are approaching; there are still some spaces available if
you'd care to miss the cold, wet winter that will surely strike most
of the U.S. come January and February. :-)

Happy Nature Watching!

"This Week at Hilton Pond" is written & photographed by:
BILL HILTON JR., Executive Director
1432 DeVinney Road
York, South Carolina 29745 USA
The mission of Hilton Pond Center for Piedmont Natural
History is "to conserve plants, animals, habitats, and
other natural components of the Piedmont Region of the
eastern United States through observation, scientific
study, and education for students of all ages."

The Grid Technology Cookbook
 Grid computing is an extremely powerful, though complex, research tool. The
development of the Grid Technology Cookbook is an outreach effort targeted at
motivating and enabling research and education activities that can benefit
from, and further advance, grid technology. The scope and level of information
presented is intended to provide an orientation and overview of grid technology
for a range of audiences, and to promote understanding towards effective
implementation and use.
 This first version of the Grid Technology Cookbook was initiated through
startup support from SURA (Southeastern Universities Research Association) and
the Open Science Grid, and brought to completion with additional funding through
a U.S. Army Telemedicine & Advanced Technology Research Center (TATRC) grant
to SURA. While this support was critical to the development of this first
version, the Grid Technology Cookbook is a community-driven and participatory
effort that could not have been possible without numerous contributions of content
and peer review from the individuals listed here.
 In addition, creating a first version of a work of this type can be
particularly challenging. Everything from determining the initial outline, to
integration of content, to review of final material begins as a grand vision that is
then tempered by the realities of busy schedules, shifting priorities and
complicated by deadlines. We especially appreciate the commitment and perseverance
of all contributors to version 1, and look forward to building on this effort
for version 2, as resources permit. If you would like to support or contribute
to future versions of the Cookbook, please contact the co-editors.

'Suited for Spacewalking' and 'Space Food and Nutrition' Educator
 Guides Now Available on NASA.gov

Suited for Spacewalking Educator Guide
This NASA educator guide for grades 5-12 focuses on the technology behind spacesuits. Briefly discussed are the space environment, the history of spacewalking, NASA's current spacesuits and the work that astronauts do during spacewalks. This guide includes classroom activities, a glossary and a list of other NASA resources.

Space Food and Nutrition Educator Guide
Space food research meets the challenge of providing food that tastes good and travels
well in space. The activities in this NASA educator guide for grades K-8 emphasize
hands-on and cooperative involvement of students as they explore the unique problems
of keeping astronauts happy and healthy in space.

Drug testing does not curb drug use
Drug testing only intermittently lowered past year substance use.

"WHAT IS SCIENCE?"  answer "science is like art." ~ 7 year old kid
The survey indicates that 80 percent of teachers said they spent less than an hour each
week teaching science, and 16 percent said they spent no time at all. Most of the 16 percent
were in schools that had missed math and reading benchmarks. In contrast, a national study
conducted seven years ago found elementary science instruction averaged more than two hours per week.

Space Weather News for Oct. 29, 2007
Last week, Comet 17P/Holmes shocked sky watchers around the world with a sudden million-fold increase in brightness.  It literally exploded into view, rapidly becoming a naked eye "star" in the constellation Perseus.  Since then the comet has expanded dramatically. It is now physically larger than the planet Jupiter and subtends an angle in the night sky similar to the Moon's Sea of Tranquility, the right eye of the "Man in the Moon."  Photographers, this amazing comet is an excellent target for off-the-shelf digital cameras and backyard telescopes.  It grows visibly from night to night and no one knows how large it will become.