Annenberg/CPB Update May 2005

  • From: Educational CyberPlayGround <admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: K12NewsLetters@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 13:09:30 -0400

All Mailing Lists
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Community/

*** In the Spotlight for May ***

  -  Learner.org is Webby Worthy!
  -  Tell Us What You Think
  -  International Reading Association Convention
  -  May is Asian Pacific American Heritage Month
  -  Channel User Spotlight: California State University - Chico
  -  This Month on the Channel
  -  Connect Learning with Special Days

*** LEARNER.ORG IS WEBBY WORTHY! ***

The Annenberg/CPB Web site, Learner.org, has been recognized as "Webby
Worthy" by the premier international award for Web excellence. A Webby
Worthy listing is equivalent to honorable mention in the process of awarding
Webbys -- the "academy awards" of the Internet, presented by the
International Academy of Digital Arts and Sciences. Go to
<http://www.webbyawards.com/webbys/current_worthy.php> to see the
Annenberg/CPB Learner.org listing.

*** TELL US WHAT YOU THINK ***

We're still striving to make Learner.org the very best site on the Web. Your
feedback is extremely valuable to us. We would appreciate your response to
the following question: What one thing would you change about the
Learner.org homepage <http://www.learner.org/redirect/may/home1.html>, and why?

Please send your response by replying to this message.

*** MAY IS ASIAN PACIFIC AMERICAN HERITAGE MONTH ***

 > May is an excellent time to learn more about Asian/Pacific American
history and culture. Start with readings from "The Expanding Canon: Teaching
Multicultural Literature in High School"
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/may/canon2.html>, featuring the writings of
Russell Leong, Ruthanne Lum McCunn, and Lawson Fusao Inada.

 > Then look to our series "American Passages: A Literary Survey"
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/may/passages3.html>. The American Passages
Web site provides biographical sketches of renowned authors Carlos Bulosan
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/may/bulosan4.html> and Maxine Hong Kingston
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/may/kingston5.html>, as well as materials
to enrich the study of their writings. Search the American Passages archive
for Asian/Pacific American artifacts -- such as historical photos and
documents -- that add to the context for studying the literature.

 > Explore issues of world history and identity with "Bridging World History"
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/may/history6.html>. In particular, see Unit
26 on the Bridging World History Web site
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/may/identity7.html> for material on the
Chinese diaspora and a link to Video on Demand.

 > For background on Asian/Pacific culture and geography, explore our series
"The Power of Place: Geography for the 21st Century"
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/may/power8.html>, which offers several
programs on Asia and the Pacific. Find additional resources on the Power of
Place Web site <http://www.learner.org/redirect/may/powerweb9.html>.

*** CHANNEL USER SPOTLIGHT: CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY - CHICO ***

[Note: This is the first of a series of spotlights on Annenberg/CPB Channel
users. If you have an innovative or interesting use of the Annenberg/CPB
Channel programs at your school or in your community, email us at
info@xxxxxxxxxxx and we'll share your story on our Web site.]

Like many rural colleges and universities, Cal State - Chico serves a range
of populations over a broad geographical area. Using the educational
resources delivered through the Annenberg/CPB Channel, the university meets
the needs of on-campus students, regional teachers, and even K-12 students.
Read on and find out more
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/may/chicostate10.html>.

*** THIS MONTH ON THE CHANNEL ***

Follow these series beginning this month on the Channel; be sure to scroll
down for broadcast dates and times. Consult the full broadcast schedule
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/may/schedule11.html> for many more programs
airing in May.

EDUCATION REFORM
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/may/forall12.html>
 > "Minds of Our Own" (K-12 educators, parents)
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/may/minds13.html>

LITERATURE & LANGUAGE ARTS
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/may/engaging14.html>
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/may/visions15.html>
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/may/meaning16.html>
 > "News Writing" (college, high school)
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/may/news17.html>

MATHEMATICS
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/may/odds18.html>
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/may/assessment19.html>
 > "Teaching Math: A Video Library, 5-8"
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/may/math20.html>

SCIENCE
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/may/earth21.html>
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/may/journey22.html>
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/may/minds23.html>
 > "Unseen Life on Earth: An Introduction to Microbiology" (college, high
school) <http://www.learner.org/redirect/may/life24.html>

SOCIAL STUDIES
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/may/psychology25.html>
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/may/newage26.html>
 > "Inside the Global Economy" (college, high school)
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/may/economy27.html>

 From the Channel schedule pages above, you can find more information on a
series by clicking on "Overview."

Catch the live stream of the Channel at
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/may/livestream28.html>, closed captioned at
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/may/livestream29.html>.

*** CONNECT LEARNING WITH SPECIAL DAYS ***

National Teacher's Day (May 3)

 > Teachers are the ones who make it all happen! Recognize the role of
teachers and their achievements with "The Merrow Report"
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/may/merrow30.html>. This ongoing series
offers a rare close-up look at teaching and education issues. "Celebrating
Teachers," Program 26, airs May 31 at 10:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. Eastern;
check the broadcast schedule
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/may/merrow31.html> for several more
programs airing this month on the Channel. Examples include Program 10,
"Early Learning," which tracks the progress of students in inner-city and
rural schools, and Program 11, "Elementary Confusion," which follows up on
the students' progress and explores policy issues affecting schools and
teaching.

Memorial Day (May 30)

 > "A Biography of America"
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/may/america32.html> looks back at the
events that shaped America, including the two World Wars and other armed
conflicts that shaped this nation's history. Find timelines, interactive
activities, maps, and more on the Biography of America Web site
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/may/americaweb33.html>.

National Music Week (May 1-8)

National Children's Folksong Repository Project
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/NCFR/

An historic electronic online archive of children's folk songs.
A public folklore project built by the children of the United States
and territories.
Children pick up the Phone and SING OR CHANT (SAY) THEIR SONG. It's simple.
Children are our unknown culture makers and they get to record and
save their songs, then submit them into the database so that they
can hear themselves on the net. They collect history, and they will
make history at the same time. Contributions make them netizens.
They are doing this for the world. Using the internet and technology
allows them to record their personal knowledge. This is their contribution.
And we all know what's personal is political, so we all help to raise
future citizens who will care about the net.
Teachers can get the idea by watching the streaming video.

For More Information contact
Educational CyberPlayGround
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com

 > "Exploring the World of Music"
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/may/music34.html> provides a good overview
of many aspects of music. See the broadcast schedule
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/may/music35.html> for programs airing this
month on the Channel.

 > Learn more about teaching music at the elementary level at the Web site
for our series "The Arts in Every Classroom: A Video Library, K-5"
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/may/arts36.html>. Follow the left-hand
links to experience an integrated unit, including a link to Video on Demand
and materials that accompany the program. Search Learner.org
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/may/search37.html> for more resources
related to music.

"Domino" - Book and Cassette published by Guavaberry Books
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/GuavaberryBooks/

Traditional Children's Songs, Proverbs,
and Culture From the American Virgin Islands  U.S.V.I.
60 Traditional Children's Songs, Games, Proverbs
45 minute Live Sound Field Recording
from the American Virgin Islands
Cross Curricular, Interdisciplinary,
Multicultural Resource Book and Cassette

<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>
EDUCATIONAL CYBERPLAYGROUND
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com

Net Happenings, K12 Newsletters, Network Newsletters
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Community/index.html

Copyright statements to be included when reproducing
annotations from K12 Newsletter

The single phrase below is the copyright notice to be used when
reproducing any portion of this report, in any format.

http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Community/K12Newsletters.html

Net Happenings, K12 Newsletters, Network Newsletters
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Community/

FREE EDUCATION VENDOR DIRECTORY LISTING
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Directory/

HOT LIST REGISTRY OF K12 SCHOOLS ONLINE