[JYO] Fatal Accident at Warrenton - W66

  • From: FlyboyEd@xxxxxxx
  • To: jyo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 01:36:42 EDT

Folks:
It is my sad duty to inform you that on October 7, 2003, at approximately
4:15 PM Eastern Time, Jon Wood was killed while practicing for an upcoming air
show in North Carolina.  The accident occurred at Warrenton Fauquier Airport
(W66) in Northern Virginia.  Over this past weekend Jon had just completed
acting
as the Contest Director for the East Coast Aerobatics Championships at this
same airport.  By volunteering to serve as Contest Director Jon unselfishly
recused himself from flying in the contest.  Jon was flying his new Zivko Edge,
300 HP monoplane at the time of the crash.  Eyewitnesses stated that Jon was
performing low level aerobatics in the box at Warrenton. Reportedly, his
sequence included a knife edge spin which transitioned into an upright flat
spin.
After stopping the aircraft's flat spinning rotation, insufficient room was
available to recover from the maneuver and the aircraft impacted in a low stand
of
cedar trees near the South East corner of the aerobatics box.

At &:30 PM the Va State Police notified Jon's mother of the accident. I'm
sure any condolences would be greatly appreciated.  I do not have her phone
number at this time.  With all sincerity, I can say that Jon was a superb pilot
and
without a doubt the nicest guy I've ever met.  I wish I had spent more time
with him.

Ron Vecchioni
Aviation Safety Counselor
Culpeper County Airport

I will always remember the acro demonstration he did last year at CJR in
Richard Bibb's T-6. What a beautiful demonstration of energy management, just
utterly gorgeous.

Chris and I are just really numb and devastated all at the same time.
Dammit, it's always the good ones.

Jason Pence
Asst Mx Officer
National Capitol Squadron CAF
Below is a cut & paste of a posting I put up at the ICAS site.

I just learned, today, of the death of my friend Jon Wood yesterday,October
7, 2003 He crashed in his Edge 540 while practicing acrobatics in Warrenton VA.
For those of you who did not have the honour of knowing him, Jon was a ferry
pilot for Mike Goulian, and was an accomplished acrobatic pilot in his own
right. He also had flown for North American Top Gun as a T-6 IP. Jon was, quite
sincerely, one of the nicest, most un-assuming pilots (or people, for that
matter) I have ever met. He loved aviation, and was a fine ambassador for it,
as
his passion for flight was incandescent.
I, as well as many many others feel his absence sharply. Blue skies, my
friend, you will be missed.
Mike Goulian has a very nice tribute to Jon here:
http://www.mikegoulian.com/html/jon_wood.html