[justablip] Re: SHOCK AND BORE

  • From: "doh" <thrash@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <justablip@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 18:01:07 +0100

Welcome to Elliot !! respect
http://www.compassionat.net/works.htm
Ouch all this thinking is hurtin my head.
Please I would ask the list members
To hold it down on the mention of porn and hoes
As there are ladies present..
So FUCKING WATCH IT RIGHT!!

Just got off the phone with BT
They've cut me off
After freezing my bill
Cos of a mistake that they made in overcharging me.. (snip) (zzzzzzzz)
Its now three hours later and they have now reconnected me
With the manager profusely apologising for the problem dating back to
may last year!
Jeeeeeezzzzzz

Ok heres the site low-down.

Step 1) OPERATION TRANSFER
get http://justablip.terrarum.net/ transferred to the live site
and working with the sql tables. I can supply the xl table file from
Joe.
Get it sort of ok looking. Very basic and able to sign up and then leave
it.
I'm not sure about the exact way of transferring the sql tables ,
whether its script or manual Joe will let us know

Step 2) OPERATION IRAQI COMMAND AND GENERALLY KILL
alas Joe did not implement any of the /command page
http://www.justablip.co.uk/command/
so all those links have to be worked into the admin section somehow
that's ok though I can update the text
but I will do a complete backup of the site now
I cant add anything to admin though
That has got to be sorted in a way that's easy to use

Step 3) OPERATION JUSTABLIP PROPAGANDA
Get the mailing Lists working with the zen server.
2 mailing Lists
        1) Announcement Mailing List
        2) Post Back mailing list for a laugh invite only.
(2) as an option to add to the site later should we feel reckless
we can always make another one I suppose

there are several things that have not been updated from the live site
now
all the text on the pages has been changed since Joe started

I'll forget all that operation bollocks from here on in.

it would be good to have a news feed as well?
how do you get that.?
Should/Could we host it on our own server?
How many bloody questions am I gonna ask in one email fer chrissake?

Immediate things that annoy us about the site right now

LOG IN:
You really should be able to press enter after inputting log and pass
We need a different graphic for the arrow n all
Creating a new account option should be next to log in bit
(rather than in the left panel) as me n Miriam discussed..

Fulfilment Company
Prices? =
err a girl answered the phone who didn't know even whether they
delivered to all territories around the world
she said she would try to find someone to call me back
there was some feint moaning in the background and the sound of dead
bodies
covered in blood being dragged sliding across the floor
my theory is she's whacked em all..
Ordering
Post and packaging prices including in shipping automatically
Can you link the database to the manufacturer to automatically order new
stock?
Complaints and problem line in shipping?
All over the world?

ADSL: started 31 May 2002
Can I use my exsisting modem? Yes

150-option::  Kate Stroud at 150
dealings with refund for over charge..

put a link to anything that is of use
to configuring and editing the site.

In terms of the site design
The idea is
Acoustic and Electronic
Analog and digital
Leaf and Metal
Shark and Cotton Wool
Naked and Raw
Ignore everything I just said

View user info - change that totally to a list of users with flags next
to their name
flags activate different things like mailing list, show mail to other
members
(that's applicable in the forum I think, dunno , where else?)
Command menu comes up on the menu when you log in as admin
Maybe on the left ? dunno see wots better.

News/Forum

Install some pre-made forum software like www.phpbb.com
which I really like
But only cos of www.llamasoft.co.uk
I love the YAK!
Oops only thing is it would have to link in with site log ins
It would be boring to have another log in for that bit..
That may be hard I dunno..
It has to have a main news screen
With topics listed and you are able to go in
Basically the important stuff should be instantly visible
I could be wrong here
This might be over complicating things
Maybe a general news/home page is what is required ..
That way the site wouldn't just go into - 'about us'

Search engines
Will you be able to search for a page within the site?
We have had many links to us in the last month
By complete random
And had four news sites comment on us
By doing nothing at all
Obviously we want the search engines to pick up on *all* the text on
there
Preferably without having to submit .
Does anyone have advice for the best ways of promoting a site to the
search engines..?

Site Logs
Install some bullshit site logs
Maybe the isp already has them - check that
The ones on the current isp control panel
Are good guides to what it should be like
Although maybe a bit more coherent
It would be good to avoid ip's on the site logs
To cancel developers effects on looking at the site all the time.
(raw log files can be analysed using any of a range of third party log
analysis programs.)
apparently :-)

order mac from jason at apple in 3 wks
        arrange for place to have it shipped
        check w/ people/airlines about bringing it w/ me on plane to uk
        other equipment -
http://www.rme-audio.de/english/hdsp/hdsp9652.htm

phew! That link is the soundcard price is : 400 pounds roughly 700
dollar
I've checked fully in the readme and it does work with osx
Only reason it doesn't work with and interleaved stereo file formats
Which I found out slow the mac by 30%!?!?!
Dam! Should have used mono block mode.. never mind
Mono mode is a pain in the ass anyway..

make contacts / find investors?
        define needs, help we could use now: web php mysql, ???
business plan program from wes. late but might as well

business program maybe yeh but we don't have enough detail .
im working on it
in fact I will work on it tomorrow..!!

NEEDS:

Website back end (oo)including..
Shop Facility Linked to site customer database in turn linked to
announcement mailing list
Deal with Mail-Order Fulfilment Company
Deal with Distributor
Bank Account
License and legal stuff for African stuff to be used and for internet
copies to be made.

Web Site Subs
Subs should be paid via worldpay

Donations??
Errr.

Promotion:
Maybe a PR Company to arrange
Interviews, reviews , downloading press pack..
Err gotta make that.. hehe

Other Tasks
Set up linux box here
To serve up the tracks via some secure method.
Or can we use windows xp ??

Soundtrack / music for stuff
        video games, films? :-)

CONCENTRATED effort to push for these
Make up dedicated packs for each promo task
Find mailing lists
That list all games companies
Film companies record companies etc etc..
Tailor the lists for our needs
I think theres a program called group mail that does this .!?!
Any ideas, knowledge?

        self hosted mailing list from accounts generated on website
        would be nice to collect emails by time linux mag article is out

legal issues - pending

FTP
Current live site:
ftp.123unix.co.uk
user:justablip
pass:kweston

Current test site:
terrarum.net
user:justablip
pass:blip

Passwords
Current ISP control panel:: user:justablip  pass: kweston
current live site :: user: benjamin pass: franklin

Immediate things to pay for
Server space : 120
WorldPay get it working.. 200 odd
Miriam and PHP programmer.. pending
Some other stuff that I am way too tired now to contemplate.

(I think its worth getting it early even it spends several months not
doing much cos we need to get it werkin really really well and linked in
with fulfilment service)