[justablip] FW: just a blip

  • From: "doh" <thrash@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Justablip List" <justablip@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 05:17:56 +0100

Yo forwarded from Joe

OK Guys,

Unfortunately, the end is nearing...
Did some more updates to the site today, all of them you can see in the
admin section.

The only things left to do are:
1) Complete all the links
2) Upload to the justablip.co.uk server

#2 is going to be easier than I though thanks to that SQL admin 123
gives you.
As for #1, either I can finish up the page contents or you guys can.
If you guys want me to, no biggie.. it'll just take some time.

---- Information about the Site ----
Lots of technical stuff here, so pay attention  : )

Attached is an Excel spreadsheet of the database schema. Just think of
it as a MySQL map. You guys shouldnt ever need this, but keep it on
file just incase someone else works on the site.

How the site is set up:
Think of the site as having 2 sections: The logo & menu section (left
side, top page) and the body section (big white section).  Now take a
look at all the links to the site. It all follows the same format:

index.php?body=something

Whatever body equals will appear in the body part of the page. Big
deal, right? Nah, its easier than you think. When you FTP to the site,
theres a directory called "content". This is where you want to put all
your content files (pages that have shit). OK, so lets put it all
together now (getting tired, so I hope I'm explaining this well enough)

Lets say you create a file called "specials". This file talks about
justablip special sales going on or something. Toss it into the content
folder. Then go to this link:

index.php?body=specials

And bam, it pops up in the body section. Easy enough?

What if you wanted to call it specials.html? No can do. I do not allow
dots in the file name. Big security breach! You can make them html
files (like make them up in dreamweaver and stuff) but just remember to
name them without the .html part.

OK, now what if you wanted to add specials as a link on the left side
of the page (along with 'about us' 'contact' etc).. Well, theres a file
in the content directory called 'menu'. Simply edit this file.

Also in the content directory you'll see some files with .php
extentions. Do not edit these or the site will break!  Well, theres
actually 1 you are allowed to edit. The one called command.php ..
Please be careful though.. and inside that file I've marked where
exactly you are allowed to type. This file contains the links for the
admin section.

Thats about all I can think of right now..
Oh, Kris, you asked about HTML interface for a mailing list.. Yes,
those do exist for all the popular lists (majordomo, mailman, ezmlm)
But again, your ISP will have to provide those.

If you guys want to play and poke around with the site and how to
update it and stuff, go right ahead. You can ftp to it:
host: terrarum.net
username: justablip
pass: blip

Dont worry about breaking anything, I have a backup  :)
I want you guys to be comfortable with the site and how it works before
it goes live, so if you guys have any questions or concerns, let me
know!

I'm going to bed.. later!

-- Type: application/octet-stream
-- File: justablip-schema.xls