[jupiter-it] 2006 09 29 Jupiter IT Newsletter

  • From: Jupiter IT Newsletter Admin <freelists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jupiter-it@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 18:31:33 +0100

Jupiter Information Technology Newsletter

Hi all,

Well it's been a while since the last issue. There has been a big change in the way that malicious software has been created and propogated over the past two years.

Then, viruses, worms and trojans were produced by so called 'script kiddies' and others for fun. Their motivation was to produce the cleverest and sneakiest malicious software possible, for it's own sake.

Now, though, things are different. Malicious software is commissioned by criminal gangs and released to create an income. Malicious software is used as a vehicle for fraud. Identity theft, pre-payment scams, and other criminal activity is the motivation for most malware now. When I receive warnings about malicious software, I now see variants of malicious software. Very little new malicious software is being created. Forgive me, if I am sounding a little nostalgic - I am not. It's always been a battle to prevent infections, but now the stakes are higher and the motives much more sinister.

As well as this, the means by which malicious software arrives has changed. Nowadays spam, or Unsolicited Commercial E-Mail, is the main vehicle. The e-mail message typically contains a link to a web site where just visiting results in an automatic malware infection. It is rare now to see malicious attachments within the e-mail, although do not be complacent. It still happens. There are still a lot of copies of old malicious software being distributed.

So, I have produced a little tutorial entitled 'A Strategy for Dealing with Spam', which is available as a free download from my web site, here http://www.jup-it-er.co.uk/doc/A%20Strategy%20for%20dealing%20with%20spam.pdf

It describes a method whereby anyone can easily reduce the amount of spam arriving in their inbox. I think it's well worth a look, so download it and try it out.

By the way, if you haven't done so already have a look at my web site. It's had a little bit of a facelift and spring clean, and looks a lot more eye catching.

Best wishes,
Laurence Cooper

Jupiter Information Technology

Software Development
Project Management
Consultancy
Training

Tel/Fax: +44 (0)1792 875340

http://www.jup-it-er.co.uk

Feel free to forward this newsletter to your friends and colleagues.

If you have received this newsletter from a friend or colleague, you may
subscribe to this newsletter by sending email to
jupiter-it-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe' in the Subject field or by
visiting http://www.jup-it-er.co.uk.

You can unsubscribe from this list at any time by sending email to
jupiter-it-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the Subject field.

Information in this electronic mail message is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this message by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not the intended recipient any use, disclosure, copying or distribution of this message is prohibited and may be unlawful. When addressed to our customers, any information contained in this message is subject to Jupiter IT Terms & Conditions.

Although all messages are checked for viruses before transmission, please rely
on your own virus checker and procedures with regard to any attachment  to this
message.

NO WARRANTY
Any  material furnished by Jupiter Information Technology is  furnished  on  an  "as
is" basis. Jupiter Information Technology makes no warranties of any kind, either
expressed or implied  as  to  any matter including, but not limited to, warranty of
fitness  for  a  particular purpose or merchantability, exclusivity or results  obtained
from use of the material. Jupiter Information Technology does  not  make  any warranty of
any kind with respect to freedom from patent, trademark, or copyright infringement.

I support the fight against Spam! Join EuroCAUCE: http://www.euro.cauce.org/