[jupiter-it] 2005-05-14 Jupiter Newsletter

  • From: Jupiter IT Newsletter Admin <freelists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Jupiter IT Newsletter <jupiter-it@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 18:27:40 +0100

Hi all,

Well, the Jupiter Newsletter has come of age.

It is now hosted on a dedicated mailing list site
(//www.freelists.org).  This makes it easier for me to manage so that
I can concentrate on producing the content rather than dealing with the
mechanics of distribution.

I hope you like it.

Today, there are two important issues to deal with, so let's jump straight in.

Firefox
*******

There has been an issue with the Firefox web browser recently, where a
potential security flaw has been discovered.  If you are using Firefox,
then you should upgrade to version 1.04 as soon as you can.  Surf over to
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ where you will find the latest
version available.

Phishing
********

Phishing attacks, where you receive an e-mail pretending to be from your
bank, are on the increase.
I have received 5 seperate phishing e-mails this week, and I have to say,
they look very convincing.

It is important to remember that no reputable bank will ever send an e-mail
asking you for personal details.  If you receive one, then delete it
immediately.  Do not click on the links, even if they look OK.  They always
do!  However, you will be redirected to a bogus website, and often these
websites install keylogging software on your computer without your
knowledge.  It is then a simple matter for your own computer to send your
personal details, passwords or other information to the owners of the bogus
site.

This software is not too different to that which was used in the recent
attempt to defraud the Sumitomo bank.

So, beware.  Everybody is vulnerable, and software is totally
non-discriminatory.  It does not mind if you are an individual or a large
organisation.  If you can be defrauded, then you are at risk.

*********
As usual, if you want to contact me, then you can reply to this message (I
will receive it), or you can contact me via http://www.jup-it-er.co.uk.

Best wishes,

Laurence

Jupiter Information Technology

Software Development
Project Management
Consultancy
Training

Tel/Fax: +44 (0)1792 875340

http://www.jup-it-er.co.uk

Information in this electronic mail message is confidential and may be legally
privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this  message by
anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not the intended  recipient any use,
disclosure, copying or distribution of this message is  prohibited and may be
unlawful. When addressed to our customers, any  information contained in this
message is subject to Jupiter IT Terms &  Conditions.

Although all messages are checked for viruses before transmission, please rely
on your own virus checker and procedures with regard to any attachment  to this
message.

NO WARRANTY
Any  material furnished by Jupiter Information Technology is  furnished  on  an
 "as is" basis. Jupiter Information Technology makes no warranties of any kind,
either expressed or implied  as  to  any matter including, but not limited to,
warranty of fitness  for  a  particular purpose or merchantability, exclusivity
or results  obtained from use of the material. Jupiter Information Technology
does  not  make  any warranty of any kind with respect to freedom from patent,
trademark, or copyright infringement.

I support the fight against Spam! Join EuroCAUCE: http://www.euro.cauce.org/