[juneau-lug] Re: wifi in SE

  • From: tom <tom@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 11:54:14 -0800

Mark,
We got us some of that wireless stuff here at the library in Juneau.  If
you are lucky enough to be on the starboard side of the ship closest to
the parking garage, you can probably get some wireless waves right in
you cabin.  (Remains to be verified cause they don't let us actually
touch the big shiny boats).

Look for a big concrete structure on the docks in downtown Juneau.  The
library is cleverly disguised as a parking garage for the first four
floors.  But on the top floor, we have put a Library!

It's just a nocatsplash screen in a browser saying 'do you agree?'  and
you're off.  It's throttled really slow because ACS charges something
like $1.00/Byte of traffic...  Oh, and no port 25 outbound cause Windows
sucks, web based email only.

here's the wireless
http://www.juneau.org/library/wifi.php

here's a map that doesn't help at all.
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=292+marine+way,+juneau
+ak&spn=0.009476,0.014713&hl=en

this map does even less
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=292+marine+way,+juneau
+ak&spn=0.013325,0.015965&t=k&hl=en
;)

Stop by the desk and ask for Tom if there are any problems.

Oh yeah, the wireless is free. (slow but free)

See ya,
Tom

p.s. That's a verrrrry blue website you got there...

On Tue, 2005-05-10 at 11:16 -0700, Mark Ashworth wrote:

> Howdy folks. I'm a member of blug.org in Bellingham WA and plan to visit
> AK in June. In my home state (WA) Linux users are a great resource so I
> thought you folks might know the best wifi spots and if there are any
> problems using them with a Linux client. I would prefer a direct
> ethernet connection but that may not be possible.
>
> If all goes according (or close to) the plan I'll pass through Skagway,
> Juneau, Sitka and Warm Springs Bay on Baranof Island. Does anyone have
> good advice or recommendations?
>
> Google searches turned up "Seaport Cyber" aka http://seaportel.com in
> Skagway, Juneau and Sitka. Are they Linux friendly?
>
> Thanks.

Tom McBrien
Juneau Public Libraries
292 Marine Way