[juneau-lug] Re: webify jpeg script

  • From: James Zuelow <e5z8652@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 05:02:37 -0800

On Sunday 16 March 2008 18:39, Jamie wrote:
> Hello James,
>
> Long time no hear.  Are you back home for a while?

No, still in Afghanistan.

> I didn't quit get what your goal is with this script.  If you just want
> to view jpg's locally why not use one of the many existing viewers that
> will auto-size them to your screen and why bother with html?  What am I
> missing here?

The goal of this script is to resize a bunch of jpeg images to 800x600 and
wrap them in HTML.  I use kstart to open display in Tool mode so that once I
start the script, I never have to move my fingers off of the keyboard.  No
yucky "find the mouse, click, find the home keys, type, find the mouse..."  I
hate that.  Once I am done, I zip up the resulting directory and let people
see photos that have comments on them.  You can see the results of the script
versions 0.1-0.3 here:

http://e5z8652.freeshell.org/

I've completed the 0.4 version with the HTML title/alternate text and always
adding the current year (notice the last batch from March 2008 still says
2007 at the bottom).

But with a few tweaks it could be used for just about anyone to wrap pictures
into static HTML.

I know there are lots of solutions for online photo albums -- I see the
security updates for the php+*sql solutions all the time.  :)  So my personal
website has lots of static HTML that I generate from scripts.  Maybe not so
geekily cutting edge, but eminently safe.

> For web viewing, you may be interested in seeing another solution.  SCRY
> http://scry.org/ is nice and simple.  23k to download.  It uses GD lib
> for image manipulation and creates a thumbnail and intermediate size
> image on demand but caches them for future speed.  You organize your
> images by directory.  So updating your web pages is as simple as adding
> a image file (or symlink) into the structure.  Setup is fast (they claim
> 2 minutes).
>
> As it comes, SCRY doesn't do comments.  But it is able to report out
> exif data and exif data can contain a comment (limited to 256 chars, I
> think).  So I tweaked the code to have it display the embedded comment
> and that works fine.

I'll look at that.  I just happened to start playing with exiv2 last month.

I have no other projects, just a list of things to get around to eventually.