[juneau-lug] Re: the GIMP

  • From: Matt <mattc@xxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 14:55:51 -0800

Hey All!

Just to fan the fires of speculation.....

I'm not sure that some sizable Linux / Open Office implementations are
is such a long shot.  Within  approximately 90 days we should start
installing 60 or so thin client terminal (dumb terminals) throughout our
facilities within the state.  These thin client terminals will boot to a
2.4 kernel and launch an ICA client to authenticate to a Citrix Server.
Can we say "inroad?"

 Several times now, I have been asked by folks way up my food chain
concerning the feasibility of installing an Open Source solution on a
majority of our work stations within this department.  Yesterday one of
these folks made the observation that the horrendous hardware
requirements and announced delays could be a real boost for Open Source,
at least in my part of the world.  =)

Given the current climate of consolidation and  TCO reduction, Open
Source makes great sense.  Further, the maturity of many of the newer
GUI have gone a long way to making the desktop much more palatable for
the end user.  The next few months should be very interesting.

Matt Christian