[juneau-lug] Re: the GIMP

  • From: Stephen Bodnar <sbodnar@xxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 12:07:00 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: chakari@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thursday, September 9, 2004 10:29 am
Subject: [juneau-lug] the GIMP

> The system works (sometimes!)
>
> I asked our IT staff to submit a waiver request to
the State
> Technology Managment Council (TMC) to allow the
use of the GIMP
> based on the cost (free) verses the approved
standard (Photoshop).
> This request was approved at the Sept. 8th
meeting. I really didn't
> have much hope that this would happen, but I guess
since it isn't a
> mission critical app and the price difference
helped with the
> decision. I heard that they are considering Open
Office, but this
> one probably is a long shot, though it would save
a lot of money
> over upgrading all the Office '97 installs, which
is the current
> standard.
> Chuck Hakari

Very encouraging news!

When I worked over at ADFG/CommFish, I installed the
windoze version
of Open Office on my new Dell, and was told I had to
have MS Office.
The killer was Access...there's nothing that we know
of that can handle
Access files (I'd like to know if there is!). So
somebody ran out to CostCo
and bought a copy of MS Office at retail!

Glad to hear somebody is coming to their senses.
What part of "site license"
doesn't Micro$oft understand?

Stephen