[juneau-lug] Re: test

  • From: East Wind <eastwind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Kevin Miller <juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 19:09:34 -0800

Hello Kevin,

KM> East Wind wrote:
>> It's back to Fedora for this me - SUSE just didn't
>> work out for me.

KM> In what respect?  I've been pretty happy with it...

Like that woodwork I see on your page!

There must be an awful lot I don't know about SUSE.
But here's some of my frustrations:

Failed to detect a dual processor mobo.
When named starts it says "using 1 CPU".
Hogwash. Get it strait, get the very basics
right the 1st time 'cause I'm not gonna fool around
with tweakin' make files just to get a basic install.
I'll tweak the heck out of them files later, but not
when I'm totally down and need a box.

Yast is a total slug. Come on. Get real, yast.
When I go into my DNS server config, yast takes 30 seconds
to read 1 stinkin' config file! I think this may
have been due to not detecting the other CPU perhaps.
I much prefer webmin anyways.

There's alot more sample config files for fedora
out on the web. I can go to the apache web site and read
all about apache....and the files will be in the same
place on my box. SUSE does too many includes, and fedora does too.

The SUSE folks stated that their startup scripts
and what not are alot different due to their idea
of what a startup situation should look like.
Nowhere did I find a clear description of their
thinking and why they thought their startup
situation was better. Perhaps it really is.
However, with no explanation to the method to the
madness I was lost. And I didn't search really hard
either so perhaps that's my failing too.

As for Debian......
Being KDE free is not an advantage!
Perhaps I just accepted the default which was not
to install KDE? Even fedora doesn't install KDE
by default.

Somebody....pour lighter fluid on my soapbox
and light it up!