[juneau-lug] Re: test

  • From: "Kevin Miller" <Kevin_Miller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 11:08:26 -0800

Chris Ruschmann wrote:

> Which version of the live CD were you using, Warty or Hoary?
> I haven't used those Live CD's, I have only used the install
> cd's for those Distro's.

Not sure, I don't have them in front of me.  They're the sames ones that
Juneau Electronics has on their counter, and that were being passed out
at the Feb. meeting.  Red cardboard case. =20

=20
> The new Dapper Live CD I have used, and have not had any problems.
> It has quite a significant feature that the others do not have which
> is Esspresso. It basically allows you to do all your installation from
> the live CD in a graphical manner :)
>=20
> You may want to try the latest release of the Live CD at this url.
> http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/dapper/flight-6/
>=20
> Here is an overview of the features.
> http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/flight6

My friend wants to learn Linux - I suppose turning him loose on an alpha
release might facilitate that end, but...
<g>
=20
> Any ideas on where it actually hung? Could have been at the locating
> NTP server section, which has a long timeout. If you don't have it
> plugged into a connection with
> internet and DHCP, then it will try and connect for about 2 minutes or
> so then fail on older releases. I believe this was fixed on Dapper
> though.

It hung right after configuring alsa on a couple of devices according to
the screen.  One was a pretty new PCMCIA Soundblaster.  No messages on
the screen after that, but who knows what may have happened in the
background.  I told him to try it w/o the SB card at home.  Don't know
if he has yet or not.  We didn't try Alt-Shift-F10 to see what that
might show.  Probably should have.

> If I can actually make it to this month's meeting I will
> bring in my laptop to show off some of the nice new features it offers
> the users. Most notably in Network Configuration.

Cool...

...Kevin
--=20
155 South Seward Street     ph: (907) 586-0242
Juneau, Alaska 99801        fax: (907 586-4500