[juneau-lug] suggestions for building a new linux box?

  • From: "Nels Tomlinson" <nels.tomlinson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 18:59:21 -0800

Hello, all,

I'm thinking about building a new linux box to replace my roughly 10
year old current box.

It's been years since I've kept up on what's good and what works with
linux, so I'm hoping for some guidance.

What I'm looking for is lots of bang for not too much money, and
longevity.  I want the new machine to still be mostly usable in 10
years, just like the old one.   I also want everything to just work
with Ubuntu ... no hassles is more important than super performance.
Budget for the box is <$1000, not counting monitors, et cetera.

I'm thinking that I want a slow-for-cheap 2 or 4 core CPU with the
fastest frontside bus I can afford, and as much of the fastest RAM as
I can afford.  The idea is that lots of fast RAM keeps the machine
responsive long after CPU is totally obsolete.  What motherboard-CPU
combos might make sense, remembering that sub-$1k budget?  Is there
one with on board video which would work well with Ubuntu?

I do no gaming, so don't need a fancy video card.  I do want to drive
two monitors, and with the talk about using 3D desktops, some basic 3D
capability that works with Ubuntu might be good obsolescence-proofing.
 What's the minimum-hassle, minimum price video card which will do all
that?  Is there a motherboard which can do that with its on board
video?  Would the onboard video work with a cheap video card to give
hassle-free dual headedness?  Right now I'm using an AGP card and an
old PCI video card to drive two monitors, by the way, so I know there
is a little bother in getting Xfree to do what I want.

Any other issues I should think about? Parallel versus serial ATA?

Thanks for the help!

Nels