[juneau-lug] Re: redhat 7.2 and winxp pro

  • From: "James Zuelow" <jamesz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 09:43:57 -0800

See Tom's post about the XP registry hack.  I didn't know about that one &
might be your problem if XP is expecting some sort of Microsoft security
signature on the Samba server.

SWAT is the builtin configuration tool for Samba - you need to enable it's
xinetd entry (/etc/xinetd.d/swat if the file is there).  RedHat has a GUI
tool for enabling services in xinetd, but I forget what its name is.  (At
home I only have one RedHat box, and it is headless so I don't use any of
the X configuration tools.)

Webmin is another useful GUI tool that you can use to manage a lot more than
Samba - it has modules for Sendmail, BIND, Postfix, xinetd, etc. etc.  It is
a fairly useful tool.