[juneau-lug] Re: really headless?

  • From: Sean Crites <bdk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 07:19:59 -0900

Ya, that was the one other thing that I found out about the serial
console. I've been recompiling my kernel every other day or so now as I
figure out I need new features. When compiling for SMP make sure you
turn on your hardware clock lock on. It took me two compiles to figure
that out. Also the newer kernels come default for the pii/iii support
turned on. When I initially compiled it I didn't drop down into the
processor support menu. My box was rebooted every time I selected the
newer kernel image. I had to turn pentium mmx on and all the others
off. Needless to say all the recompiles since go much faster w/ two
processors then one.

There is also an option in the kernel that allows you to get root from
the serial console that should be turned on; it is off by default. I'm
also running smoothwall and am going to do the same thing w/ that box.

If anyone else is thinking about going headless and need the serial
console access I suggest you go the DB9 Male/RJ-45 route and not buying
a null modem cable. Two DB9/RJ45's for about $1 each & we all have
networking cable to connect the two. Much cheaper then buying a null
modem cable & I think easier to expand and use.

3rd item down, part 31d1-17200
http://www.national-tech.com/catalog/modularadaptors.htm

Thanks Myron.

-sean