[juneau-lug] Re: quicktime .mov files in redhat

  • From: James Zuelow <e5z8652@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2003 16:31:12 -0800 (AKDT)

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003, Balovich, Scott wrote:

> I believe Xine plays quicktime files splendidly if you don't have your heart
> set on mplayer... using apt will get you the latest and greatest iteration.

IIRC Xine/mplayer will have trouble with the "Sorenson" format movies -
which are more and more common. The only solution I've found for them is
to install the Crossover Plugin. It costs about $70 for the CD, but
installs a real live Apple quicktime player.

I think - and could very well be wrong - that the new format movies have
to have a licensed player, which is why finding a Linux player is so hard.
The older quicktime animations/movies are not so encumbered (only the
encoder was licensed, the player was free.)