[juneau-lug] Re: problem with SuSE 7.2 kernel update

  • From: Joe Schmuck <sbodnar@xxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 09:31:40 -0900

I finally found out what this error message relates to. DEXE
and binfmt are used for handling DOS filesystems. So dosemu
will open, but not run as it cannot access any real or virtual
filesystems.

Not much problem for the PowerPC crowd as they can't use it
anyways (only works on x86 architecture) but I needed to run
some old DOS programs and now have to find a workaround (there
are no more DOS or windoze machines anywhere in the house
anymore).

I use the DOS programs for programming handheld radios and
serial port communications. Most of the radio maufacturers
software is supplied in DOS format. Interesting that any
NT/2000/XP system can't handle these well because they don't
give you direct access to any hardware. Linux allows it
even if running through an emulator such as dosemu.

Later,
  Stephen