[juneau-lug] Re: problem with SuSE 7.2 kernel update

  • From: "Stephen E. Bodnar" <sbodnar@xxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 03:25:43 -0800

>On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 18:45:23 -0800
>"Stephen E. Bodnar" <sbodnar@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>  >
>  > Any ideas?
>  >
>  > And yes, I am going to retire 7.2 as soon as SuSE 9 is out and stable.
>  >
>  > Thanks,
>  >   Stephen
>  >

>Hmm.  Ignore it.  That's what I would do.  It does not seem as if
>anything you're running depends on that service, and you intend on
>rebuilding the box soon anyways.  To top it off, it looks like you'd
>have to downgrade to a 2.4.7 kernel image to fix the problem, which
>would undo the benefits of upgrading your kernel in the first place.

8> snip

>My 2 cents.
>
>James

Sage advice. I shall follow the Path.

But believe it or not, I actually do have a program that
runs SCO style code. It's a small program that takes data in binary
format from a Campbell Scientific datalogger and translates it to
ASCII in real time. I used it in Debian 1.3 and RedHat 3  But I'm
not using it now, so I guess the SCO emulation can go away for a
while.

The program was really interesting, it was written back
in the days when Novell still had a hand in SCO unix and it required
having an N drive(!!!). I tried to tweak the source to remove this
and make it default to a directory in the user's home, but it was too
difficult - I'd almost have to rewrite the code. What I did was create
a /N directory and symlink it back to the user's data directory. Ah,
linux. Could never do something so simple in Windoze...especially
WFW 3.11 back in the "good old days".

Stephen