[juneau-lug] problem with SuSE 7.2 kernel update

  • From: "Stephen E. Bodnar" <sbodnar@xxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 18:45:23 -0800

I just performed a long overdue security upgrade to my trusty
crusty old SuSE 7.2 box, which consisted of a kernel upgrade
from the SuSE ftp site. I was lazy and used the RPM kernel
update, and (duh!) managed to nuke the existing kernel so
I can't go back.

The system actually boots fine and everything seems to run well
except that I get an error message on boot:

"Registering DEXE for binfmt/etc/init.d/boot:
/proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc/register: No such file or directory"

I searched the SuSE support database and found only the explanation
on this webpage:

http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2001/10/ibcs_72.html

which explains the problem as the iCBS emulator for SCO unix
programs(!!!) I don't think SCO is out to get us yet...I tried the
changes to modules.conf, did a mk_initrd, but the message persists.
SuSE has just dropped support for 7.2, and a google just finds more
folks with the same problem and no solution.

Any ideas?

And yes, I am going to retire 7.2 as soon as SuSE 9 is out and stable.

Thanks,
  Stephen