[juneau-lug] Re: networking help, please?

  • From: Kevin Miller <Kevin_Miller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 07:09:37 -0800

Don't know about Knoppix, but wvdial would only run as root when I was
setting it up at home on SuSE.  Going through YaST I finally got it to work
when logged in as a regular user but it was an odd trick that fixed it.  I
had to have a DNS entry in the config file.  Not sure which one - like I
say, I was using YaST and it's been a few months.  Anyway, it doesn't have
to be a local DNS server.  I think I put in ACS's, even though they're not
visible until I actually dial in.  I could probably have stuffed any IP
address in there.  After there was a placeholder address in the mix, it
would dial out when I opened a browser as a normal user.  I presume that
wvdial is running suid as root, but I'm not fully sure.

This probably doesn't answer your question, but maybe it'll give you a
couple different avenues to explore...

...Kevin
CBJ MIS Dept.               Network Systems Administrator, Mail
Administrator
155 South Seward Street     ph: (907) 586-0242
Juneau, Alaska 99801        fax: (907 586-4500