[juneau-lug] Re: mini-linux for a single function machine

  • From: "Dan Zachary at KRSA" <dzachary@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 11:23:22 -0800

Yes, 4 Meg of RAM.

This sounds like a good idea.

Dan

----- Original Message -----
From: "James Zuelow" <jamesz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2001 10:31 AM
Subject: [juneau-lug] Re: mini-linux for a single function machine

----- Original Message -----
From: Dan Zachary at KRSA <linux@xxxxxxxx>
To: Juneau Linux <Juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2001 9:44 AM
Subject: [juneau-lug] mini-linux for a single function machine

> I have an older 386 that is currently running as a print server in
Lantastic. I'd like to switch this over to a Linux server. There is limited
memory, limited hard drive space, ....

> Any suggestions of where to start?
>
> Dan

You can have a fully functional Debian print server up and running after
installing from floppy disks.  How much memory is "limited"?  (Do you have
4MB?)

I can send you the Debian installation CDs with floppy images - you'll need
a rescue floppy, root floppy, driver 1, 2, 3, and base 1-14.  Buy a box of
30, and you'll probably get all of those successfully created - one bad
sector and it's toast.  The last set that I made was all good except for
base 8.  Sigh...  If you have the bandwidth, you can download the images.

Anyway you'll have a fully networked system with lpr, and without needing
any other floppies or CD to work.

Cheers,

James Z