[juneau-lug] Re: junk email routing

  • From: Kevin Miller <Kevin_Miller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 08:53:24 -0800

Jamie wrote:
> I'm aware that email headers can be spoofed.  But I don't understand
> how
> spam, like the one below, can end up in my inbox.  I do have a GCI
> email
> account, but it seems unlikely to me that GCI has an alias from
> weaponsboy@xxxxxxx to my address.  So without my address anywhere in
> the
> message, how did I get it?  Spam email below:

It's your contribution to the anti spam community Jamie.  Each month GCI
picks a different "volunteer" to monitor spam for false positives and
directs it to their account. This month you're it! ;-)

Actually, you were probably blind-cc: and the headers aren't showing the
envelope To: field, thus you don't seem to appear in them.  GCI's MTA saw
them though, and thus routed...

...Kevin
CBJ MIS Dept.               Network Systems Administrator, Mail
Administrator 155 South Seward Street     ph: (907) 586-0242
Juneau, Alaska 99801        fax: (907 586-4500