[juneau-lug] Re: home server

  • From: Kevin Miller <atftb2@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2013 16:00:07 -0800

On 11/01/2013 03:19 PM, Jamie wrote:
> On 11/01/2013 02:27 PM, James Zuelow wrote:
>>> So I'm looking at CentOS and Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and ???  So what have you
>>> used?  And what do you like about it?
>>>
>>> -Jamie
>>>
>> I am a die-hard Debian fan.  Always have been, always will be.
>>
>> That being said, Kevin Miller has been working with CentOS recently, in
>> order to support our e-mail gateways.
>>
>> In fact he can probably help you out with media.
>>
>> James
>>
> I've got a CentOS 6.2 disk but it seems the current version is 6.4. So,
> Kevin, got one of those?
>
> Yes, I hear lots of good things about Debian and believe them, but I've
> not quite made the comfort level there yet.  Probably should try again.

Desktop at work is Debian.  James sort of converted me.  Used to be an
openSUSE guy but got tired of upgrading every 18 to 24 months.  Some
things I don't like about it but nothing insurmountable.

I'm replacing the SUSE (not openSUSE) servers with centOS because it's
an enterprise solution w/long term support and I don't have to deal with
licensing issues.

SLES support was expensive and only got us updates, no hand-holding per
se, and Novell has a convoluted process to update the license.  I got
tired of it.  I didn't mind paying for updates (they gotta eat too) but
when I have to jump through hoops just to keep the license key active
then no thanks.  I do miss some aspects of YaST though.

One thing about centOS is it's quite behind the times.  Debian is too,
but not nearly as badly.  I like KDE over gnome, and IIRC centOS is
using KDE 4.3.  If you're going to just run at the CLI it's moot.  On my
mail gateways it doesn't matter so much because I don't need a GUI on
them.  There are some issues with perl versions if you use rpmforge or
epel (and you pretty much need to).  Makes it more of a hassle to update
or install stuff but that's life.

At home I went with Kubuntu and like it quite a bit.  More bleeding edge
than Debian, but it's a long term release so no upgrade blues after just
a year or two.  I'd recommend that.  Since I don't use gnome I don't
have any opinions on that brouhaha.

If you do install centOS, just use the 6.2 disk then do a yum update and
you'll be at 6.4.  Just don't do it when Melody is watching Netflicks or
you'll be cooking your own dinner.  (Unless you have a nice fat link to
the inet.)  I do have a 6.4 DVD around here somewhere if you don't want
to do the download drill.  You're welcome to swing by and grab it next
time your downtown if you like...

...Kevin
--
Kevin Miller