[juneau-lug] Re: hd recovery

  • From: larry talley <larryt@xxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 16:18:27 -0800

I do think that a professional service would be the best way to go...
but... in the distant pass I did recover from a situation that had similar
symptoms by push-starting the rotation of a drive.  I don't recall exactly
how I managed to spin the spindle, but presumably it was via the little nub
that sticks out of the spindle bearing -- of course I am sure there are
more precise names for those parts!  Anyway my theory was that there was a
dead spot on the rotor or something like that, and after rotating off the
dead spot, the drive was able to spin up... or perhaps the motor had lost
enough power that it couldn't accelerate from a dead stop but could
accelerate from a slow spin... anyway I was able to spin it up and make a
copy of a disk after it had been apparently dead.
Of course a professional service should have a lot more than one trick in
their repertoire.

Larry