[juneau-lug] Re: gcc upgrade

  • From: "James F. Zuelow Jr." <jamesz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 11:25:03 -0900

----- Original Message -----
From: "Charles R. Hakari" <chakari@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> downloaded version 3.1, but of course there are quite a few dependencies
that
> I have to satisfy before I could install it. What I would like to know is
can
> I expect any other problems with my system if I compile the kernel with
the
> latest version of gcc? I would think that it would be downward compatable.
>
> Chuck

Not in all cases - there are often little changes that break things.  IIRC
RedHat was using a snapshot release when they were using 2.96 and 2.97 -
there was a lot of controversy about "beta" gcc releases, and how they were
not official, etc.

I would go ahead and try to use the 3.x that you have.  If it doesn't work,
you should be able to find an older 2.97 rpm at http://rpmfind.net or
ftp://updates.redhat.com (don't know if RH7.2 will have one, RH7.0 or RH7.1
should though).

Cheers,

James