[juneau-lug] Re: free anti-virus for linux and windows

  • From: "Myron Davis" <myrond@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 17:05:27 -0800 (AKDT)

Yes it auto updates.
Yes you can install it on your grandmothers computer and leave it, (if it
is configured to auto-update and regular scans).  No on-demand scanner yet
(except for outlook).

For free ones I've always suggested AVG for personal home use.  I am
testing clamav for windows out and so far I'm pretty impressed.  (It has a
nice feature if a virus is detected to auto-email an alert to someone :)
).  That way you can help out grandma if it detects a virus :)

-Myron

> interesting about clamAV for windows.  IMHO this is a GPL'd piece of
> software that has been screaming for a windows port for sometime now.
>
> Question though: does it do auto-update? Can I install it a
> grandmothers computer and have her all setup and ready to go?  Just
> today I had to remove an install of Norton Antivirus that was going
> nuts on startup eatting all sorts of memory and stalling the computer
> out.  Removed it and the problem went away, however now i'm stuck
> recommending some sort of anti virus replacement.  I initially
> suggested Kaspersky and McAfee but perhaps i'll see about putting
> clamAV in....
>
> Justin
>

> On May 12, 2004, at 4:46 PM, Kevin Miller wrote:
>
>> Both F-Prot and Bit defender offer free scanners to Linux users.
>> F-prot is
>> just for non-commercial users, but the nice folks at BitDefender say
>> any
>> Linux user can use their product.  It's at
>> http://www.bitdefender.com/index.php?tab=2 for those interested.  I
>> haven't
>> installed it yet, but plan on doing so for some email gateways...
>>
>> ...Kevin
>> --
>> Kevin Miller                Registered Linux User No: 307357
>> CBJ MIS Dept.               Network Systems Administrator, Mail
>> Administrator
>> 155 South Seward Street     ph: (907) 586-0242
>> Juneau, Alaska 99801        fax: (907 586-4500

>>> well.  The scanner looks very very sharp.  I used to recommend