[juneau-lug] Re: debian install tutorial

  • From: Sean Crites <bdk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2002 04:19:44 -0900

Last week I downloaded Woody (debian 3.0) using Jigdo. Know how most
things are, as soon as you buy something it is already out dated and
there is a newer, faster model out? ISOs are the same way. You spend an
hour or two downloading 600+ megs per disc. The last thing you would
want to hear was that a newer version is out.

Jigdo will download all the seperate modules, patches, updates, etc and
compile them into one ISO on your hdd. You can setup a cron job that
would run it once a day or two and then you would always be ontop of
what the latest version and release is. You can burn discs, dpkg or apt-
get w/o worrying if what you have is the most recent update.

I ran jigdo on a win2k box and it grabbed everything very cleanly and
made a bootable iso of disc 1.

Jigdo how-to/faq: http://www.dirac.org/linux/debian/jigdo/debian-jigdo-
mini-howto.html

Sean, thanks for the link. I've never successfully setup xfree86 under
debian, this should help me.

-sean