[juneau-lug] Re: apache2

  • From: Talley family <talleys@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 06:35:05 -0900

More info I should have supplied in the first place....

My Apache2 works fine when I don't try to do proxy, vhost,
and URL re-writing.  Basic web serving works... but that
isn't what I want apache for.

Here are the things I am trying to achieve....

1) vhost

   I have 3 domain names.  I want to serve them all from
   one physical server.  Right now, I want to serve them
   all from a single J2EE application (Confluence) running
   in Tomcat on the same host that runs Apache.  But I
   want the flexibility to change that, i.e., I want each
   vhost to have independent configuration capabilities.
   But for now, I want Apache to proxy all three domains
   to localhost:8080.

   On the Tomcat side, I want ability to respond differently
   to requests depending on which vhost they were proxied
   through, so, I want the header information passed from
   Apache to include the host name from the original request.

2) URL rewrite

   I want any web root request (http://toklas.org/) to
   be re-written to a request for my Tomcat application,
   (http://toklas.org/confluence).  This is so that my
   users won't have to know what application is providing
   my service, they just need to remember my host name.

   Any requests below the root are going to be URLs generated
   by my system, so they will be correctly formed, and I don't
   mind that they include the application name, or in Tomcat
   terms, the context.

Larry