[juneau-lug] Re: apache2

  • From: East Wind <eastwind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Talley family <juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 23:52:28 -0900

Hello Talley,

Tf> But, my config is not recognizing my virtual host definitions.

Tf> To confirm this, I put some extra logging in a vhost config,
Tf> and it never happened, so I think that all my http requests
Tf> get satisfied through my "default" host instead of one of the
Tf> vhost configs.

Tf> Here is one variation of a vhost config file I have tried:

Tf> /etc/apache2/sites-available/toklas.org

Tf> -----

Tf> NameVirtualHost *:80

Tf> <VirtualHost toklas.org:80>
Tf>   ProxyPreserveHost On
Tf>   ServerName toklas.org
Tf>   ProxyRequests Off

Tf>   RewriteEngine on
Tf>   RewriteRule       ^/$
Tf> http://toklas.org/confluence/display/seafom/Home[L,NC]

Tf>   RewriteRule       ^.*$ http://toklas.org/confluence/$1   [L,NC]

Tf>   ProxyPass         /    http://localhost:8080/
Tf>   ProxyPassReverse  /    http://localhost:8080/

Tf>   <Proxy *>
Tf>     Order Deny,Allow
Tf>     allow from all
Tf>   </Proxy>
Tf> </VirtualHost>

Tf> Can any of you suggest a reason that this vhost is never
Tf> recognized?  toklas.org requests do end up at my server.
Tf> My apache access log shows the request as follows:

Tf> 206.174.127.78 - - [08/Feb/2006:20:16:18 -0900] "GET / HTTP/1.1" 400 -

Tf> which makes me think that possibly the hostname toklas.org is
Tf> not getting preserved, but, I don't know apache logging well
Tf> enough to know if I should see the host name instead of the
Tf> IP address (I specified common log format).

Turn on FQDN lookups in your apache config file.

Tf> I am sure I am overlooking something obvious, and/or should
Tf> just RTFM, but... if anyone sees the smoking gun please let
Tf> me know.

I'm not familiar with apache's URL re-writing
and the proxy statements. Considering that I see a blank white
web page when I visit toklas.org (no error message) I'd reduce
the situation to software minimums if possible. I'd temporarily
undo those things. It looks to me like apache is sucessfully
doing what it's been told to do, which is to give a blank page.
Maybe the blank page is part of the proxy or URL mishandling
in some way?

What's the purpose of the URL and proxy statements?
I need a cold beer.

--
Best regards,
 East                            mailto:eastwind@xxxxxxxxxxxx