[juneau-lug] Re: YaST2 (was: Re: Next meeting)

  • From: "James Zuelow" <e5z8652@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 19:52:52 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Toby Harbanuk" <tobysam@xxxxxx>
To: <juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, April 23, 2002 6:43 PM
Subject: [juneau-lug] Re: YaST2 (was: Re: Next meeting)

> but for total newbies like me, SuSE is probably a good starter?
>
> Toby

LOL.  You're not a total newbie.

SuSE is great as long as you understand that you can't use their admin
tools AND hand tune things.  It's an either or proposition.

The problem for a newbie is that when you do a google for "Postfix relay
control" the results you get will tell you to edit the main.cf file, not
change the values in YaST2's control panel.  Then you add a package with
YaST2 and your hand-made changes are undone for you.  There is a lot of
potential for frustration there.

Don't get me wrong - there's nothing intrinsically wrong with SuSE and a
lot of people really like it.  My experience was very bad though and
I'll probably never install it again because of that.