[juneau-lug] Re: XP SP3 and Grub

  • From: James Zuelow <e5z8652@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 07:57:59 -0800

On Wednesday 07 May 2008 06:25:55 am deadcats wrote:
> James, I'm dual-booting XP & Ubuntu off different primary partitions on the
> same HDD (sda), with GRUB located in the MBR of sda. After reading your
> post, I did an online install of XP SP3, and there were no changes to GRUB
> including several reboots.
> Where's your GRUB located?
>
> regards,
> -dc

My laptop only boots from sda, so grub is there.

It looks like this:

sda: grub in the MBR, entire hdd used for XP
sdb: Debian

I re-visited my menu.lst and here's a detail that is probably important.  The
Debian Lenny kernels have borked firewire support so I roll my own kernels,
which always end up under the default Debian kernels.  Grub is set up to boot
the 'saved' kernel, which I set with `grub-set-default n` where n is the
position of my kernel in the list.  With XP SP2 this was always left alone.
But now when I boot SP3, it looks like the saved kernel is reset.

I'll bet your menu.lst file says something like `default 0` or some-such.  If
you change it to `default saved`, boot XP SP3 and then reboot, does it come
up with Windows as the default?