[juneau-lug] Re: What does . mean?

  • From: "Tony Taylor (ISD)" <tony.taylor@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 14:13:30 -0900

James Zuelow wrote:

> Interesting.  I didn't know about the environment stuff, I just used it
> to type commands.  For reference, here's the OpenBSD implementation (for
> sh):

Yah.  Your "sourcing" explanation was much better.  I figured I hadn't
explained it well.  All it does is simply run the script in the current
shell instead of forking a child shell; one of the main side-effects is
that any environment changes from the script happen in the current shell.

This does not work in, for instance, the C shell.  It *does* work in the
Korn shell, though.  So, you must be careful not to "source" a Korn
shell script in Bash shell.

Well, considering nobody uses the Korn shell anymore, I guess you don't
have to be *that* careful.

                        - Tony