[juneau-lug] Web100 servers

  • From: James Zuelow <e5z8652@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 19:49:21 -0800

I've always used sites like dslreports.com for speed tests.

I ran across these Web100 servers, which provide a lot more information about
tuning your connection.  If you have a 1.5Mb/sec cable modem and you're not
seeing the performance you expect, trying these out might shed some light on
the problem.

Information on Web100 in general is here:
http://www.web100.org/

And the specific tool used in the tests is NDP, available here:
(info)
http://e2epi.internet2.edu/ndt/
(download)
http://e2epi.internet2.edu/ndt/download.html

Anyway, if you're curious, some of the NDT sites are listed below.  There are
more available on the e2epi site above, but I couldn't connect to them
(internet 2 thing probably).

Once you run the test, click on statistics or more details to get more
detailed information than you'll get from the free dslreports.com test.

You need Java to run the applets.  All of the pages will automatically attempt
to load the java applet, so expect a Firefox warning if you click on them.

Argonne National Laboratory (always tells me I have a duplex mismatch):
http://miranda.ctd.anl.gov:7123/

University of California SC (best results for me, shortest path):
http://nitro.ucsc.edu/

Stanford (here because of it's physical proximity to Alaska - appears to be
missing the "start" button though.)
http://netspeed.stanford.edu/

University of Michigan:
http://speedtest.umflint.edu/