[juneau-lug] Re: Version of Linux

  • From: Sean Crites <bdk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 12:27:26 -0800

Debian has several setup schemes that you can choose from

(Science/Math, Server, Games, Graphics/Sound, Laptop) includeing a

minimal bare install. Once you get that done, you can choose exactly

which applications/programs/utilities you want on your system.

All my installs of Debian have been via the 3.5 floopy route. It's been

a while since I had dial-up, but from what I can remember it wasn't too

painful a download to get just want you wanted, and not what some distro

thinks you need. My weakest box is 486dx4 100mhz laptop w/ 8mb ram &
500mb hdd. Debian installed nicely on that, and it had plenty of room
left over for other things.

As far as debian support, irc.debian.org is an awesome resource. It is

part of the Open Projects Net at Berkeley, CA. I just took a gander
there, and there are 298 people in that one channel. Don't know what the
IRC is? Grab BitchX and find out.

-sean