[juneau-lug] Re: Version of Linux

  • From: Tony <tony.taylor@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 08:41:07 -0800

jnjfz20 wrote:

> Zachary Family wrote:
>
>>Do the members of this user group have a preferred version of Linux?
>>
>>I've played a little with Caldera Open Linux 2.3 as well as RedHat 5.2 and
>>RedHat 6.1.  Are any of these recommended versions to work with or would it
>>be wiser to get a newer version if I'm pretty much starting from scratch?
>>
>>Dan

<SNIP>

> However there are many, many choices.  I've never used Slack, Corel,
> Mandrake, Yggdrasil, SuSE, etc. etc.  Hopefully some of our other
> members will weigh in.

I agree that Debian is the best distro for experienced Linux users; but
the install is a little complicated for newbies.  Debian's package
management system is by far the best packaging system in any Unix so
far; it misses some of Solaris' PM features, but more than makes up for
it in ease-of-use and robustness.

I started out with SLS (Slackware) when it came on 60+ floppy images
(back in the Linux kernel 0.99 days, in '93(?)); haven't used it much
since, though.  I tried Red Hat for a time, but wasn't happy with its
layout of init scripts, etc.  Corel Linux has a pretty install, and
autoconfigures your machine, but otherwise is poorly done.  SUSE is
quite nice, with a fancy installer, good peripheral detection, and a
solid layout.  I think SUSE is the best beginner's Linux distro, and
Debian the best distro for the purists.

Oh course, everyone has their own opinions, and the choice of distro is
a matter of taste.

                                - Tony