[juneau-lug] Re: Version of Linux

  • From: jnjfz20 <jnjfz20@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 08:21:29 -0800

Zachary Family wrote:

> Do the members of this user group have a preferred version of Linux?
>
> I've played a little with Caldera Open Linux 2.3 as well as RedHat 5.2 and
> RedHat 6.1.  Are any of these recommended versions to work with or would it
> be wiser to get a newer version if I'm pretty much starting from scratch?
>
> Dan

I think RedHat 7.x is fairly popular.  Club members also use Debian,
Slackware and SuSE that I know of.

I would recommend using a newer version of whatever distribution you've
used in the past.  By the time you downloaded all of the security fixes
for RedHat 6.1, you might as well have just downloaded 7.1 from
scratch.  Since you're pretty familiar with your equipment, you can
ignore the pretty installation routines and pick a distribution that
you're comfortable with.

Off the top of my head, I would recommend Debian first and RedHat
second.  Debian installs on older machines (it does not have the 32MB
mininmum RAM requirement that the RedHat 7.x installer does - you'd
never get RedHat 6.2+ to even install on an 8MB box), and there is no
pressure to pay for convenient updates like RedHat is starting to do
with RedHat network.

However there are many, many choices.  I've never used Slack, Corel,
Mandrake, Yggdrasil, SuSE, etc. etc.  Hopefully some of our other
members will weigh in.